Search for content in message boards

John Cooks/John Cookes of early Duplin county

Replies: 0

John Cooks/John Cookes of early Duplin county

Posted: 18 Jan 2014 10:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cook/Cooke; Shofner/Shoffner
Hello, Can anyone help.
I'm trying to find the parentage of Catherine Cook/Cooke 27 May 1762-14 Jun 1823 who married Martin Shofner of Orange NC later of Bedford TN marriage bond posted 7 Jul 1780 Duplin County. So Duplin was her home county. Family history says her father was John Cook. Also that she was a descendant of Francis Cooke of the 'Mayflower' (which I don't believe, I think we are looking for someone who was an ethnic German, a Johannes Koch). Christena Cook who married Martin's brother Frederick may have been her sister or cousin.
I'm looking at 3 John Cooks in 1783 Duplin 'John of Isle Creek', 'John on Maxwell' and 'John on S Creek'. Today Island Creek and Maxwell Mill Pond are in Duplin; South Creek is in Beaufort County. In which district were these places in 1783? In 1784-1786 Duplin there was John of Stallin's District, of Kenan's District and of Southerland district and John Cooke in Stallin's District. I'm ruling out John of Kenan's District as this was a young family, husband not old enough to have had a daughter of marriagable age. 1790 there were 2 John Cooks and John Cook Sr in Wilmington District, Duplin. John Sr might be the John Cook (William, Reuben, William, William Philip, Richard) that was b 1714 Isle of Wight VA died 1799 Duplin and married a Mary.
Pls help me which John in 1783 matches to which in subsequent censuses and where were these districts? Can anyone tell me facts (dates, parents, etc) of these John Cook/Cookes?

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions