Search for content in message boards

Rigsbee family cemetary

Replies: 32

Re: Rigsbee family cemetary

Richard Pickett (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2003 10:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Well, I knew that Hardie's first cousin, my great-great grandmother was raised from age 5 by Josiah Atkins and her aunt, Margaret Markham Atkins, when Pleasant died in the War Between the States.

Sarah Jane Chisenhall and Sarah Vickers are two different people.
Sarah Jane Chisenhall married Washington Marion VICKERS and died after 28 July 1877 (probate date of Davis CHISENHALL's will). Sarah VICKERS married Levi MARKHAM. and died before 1875 (Her father', David Vickers, Jr., did not mention her in his estate files in Orange Co. or Durham Co.). This Sarah VICKERS was the first cousin of Washington Marion VICKERS and a neice of Mary Vickers RIGSBEE.

I descend from Washington Marion VICKER's brother, Gaston VICKERS, for whom Vickers Avenue in Durham is named. Gaston (the executor of Davis CHISENHALL's will) married Nancy Emily CHISENHALL, a daughter of Davis CHISENHALL and sister to Sarah Jane CHISENHALL. Sarah Jane did remarry a MARKHAM after the war, but I don't know which one. It wouldn't be Levi because the Sarah VICKERS he married was dead before Davis CHISENHALL's will was probated in 1877 or written on 18 Sep 1876. Sarah Jane MARKHAM is left one dollar in his will. "Some family members were omitted from a will because they are otherwise provied for. . . As daughters married, they were customarily given their portion in cash, land, household furnishings, food, horses, slaves, etc. . . . A family account book recorded the property conveyed to each child. If, when the father's estate was settled, a child contested the settlement, this account showed what each marriage portion was. Thus, children who had received their share are frequently ommitted from the will." Ed. Cerny, Johni & Eakle, Arlene, The Source: A Guidebook of American Genealogy, p. 187
I turned up 1,020 examples of this off of a Google search. Also, her son James Marion VICKERS, is well provided for in the will.

Unless you have some documentation that the death date of Sarah Vickers MARKHAM was not 1875? The 1866 marriage record might clear things up. Do you have a copy?

I could be wrong.There is a Levi MARKHAM buried in the PROCTOR-VICKERS Cemetery on James Street.
Located on the corner of James Street and Southwood Drive. This cemetery has about one acre which holds more than 60 graves. It is abandoned and overgrown. The earliest burial is 1865 and the last known burial was December 1882. (NOTE: Your Levi Markham died in 1908).
Chisenhall, Davis (b. - d.)
Husband of Nancy Proctor Chisenhall
Chisenhall, James (b. - d.)
Son of Davis & Nancy Chisenhall. Husband of Kinsey Chisenhall.
Chisenhall, Kinsey (b. - d.)
Wife of James Chisenhall.
Chisenhall, Martha Gilliam (b. - d.)
Daughter of James and Kinsey Chisenhall
Chisenhall, Mary Gainey (b. - d.)
Daughter of James and Kinsey Chisenhall
Chisenhall, Nancy Proctor (b. - d.)
Wife of Davis Chisenhall
Markham, Levi (b. - d.)
Husband of Sarah C. Markham.
Markham, Sarah Chisenhall (b. - d.)
Daughter of James and Kinsey Chisenhall. Wife of Levi Markham

However, this Sarah Chisenhall is Davis' granddaughter. Her father, James, was born in 1834. That would make this Sarah, the wife of a Levi Markham, at most 12 years old in 1866 when your Levi Markham married Sarah Vickers.

Hardie MARKHAM lived with Davis CHISENHALL???
Hardie married my great grandfather's half sister, Mary Frances PICKETT. I don't see Hardie mentioned in Davis' will.

I, Davis Chisenhall of the County of Orange and State of North Carolina being of sound mind and memory but considering the uncertainty of my earthly existence do make and declare this my last will and testament in manner and from following, that is to say:
First: That my executor hereinafter named shall provide for my body a decent burial suitable to the wishes of my relatives and friends and pay all funeral expenses, together with my just debts, howsoever and to whomsoever owing out of the monies that may first come into his hands as a part and parcel of my estate.
Item: I give and devise to my beloved wife Nancy Chisenhall all my land whereon I now live to have and to hold to her the said Nancy Chisenhall for and during the lesser of her natural life or widowhood together with all my perishable property.
Item: I give and bequeath to my grandson James Marion Vickers after the death of my beloved wife Nancy Chisenhall all of that portion of land commencing at the corner on the Branch thence running with the spring branch southwest to the old Hillsboro road thence with the said road to the west side of my land including all the north end of my land, one cow and one feather bed to him the said James M. Vickers and his personal representatives forever.
Item: I give and bequeath to my daughter Sarah Jane Markham one dollar as her portion of my estate.
Item: My will and devise is that all the residue of my estate if any after taking out the devises and legacies above mentioned shall be equally divided between my three children, James G. Chisenhall, Mary A. Gainey, and Nancy Emma Vickers share and share alike to them and each of their executors administers and assigns absolutely forever.
And lastly I do hereby constitute and appoint my trusty friend William G. Vickers my lawful executor to all interests and purposes to execute this my last will and testament according to the true intent and meaning of the same and every part and clause thereof, hereby revoking and declaring utterly void all other wills and testaments by me heretofore made.
In witness whereof I the said Davis Chisenhall do hereunto set my hand and seal this 18th day of September 1876.

His
(Jgd) Davis x Chisenhall
mark [seal]

Signed, sealed,
Published and
declared by the
said Davis Chisenhall
to be his last will
and testament in
the presence of
us who at his bequest and in his presence
do subscribe our names as witnesses
thereto.
Witness
F.M. Proctor
J.K. Proctor

North Carolina
Orange County

I, S.M. Gattis, Clerk of the Superior Court, do hereby certify that the foregoing is a true copy of a will as recorded in this office this 15th January 1889
{LS} (Lgd) S. M. Gattis

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
1coolmomcm1 20 Sep 2003 12:19PM GMT 
Richard Pickett 21 Sep 2003 4:50AM GMT 
1coolmomcm1 22 Sep 2003 1:02PM GMT 
oearlyr 3 Jun 2004 4:43AM GMT 
1coolmomcm1 3 Jun 2004 10:11AM GMT 
oearlyr 10 Aug 2004 3:53AM GMT 
1coolmomcm1 10 Aug 2004 11:27AM GMT 
Efland Wilkin... 19 Nov 2012 10:34AM GMT 
Efland Wilkin... 19 Nov 2012 10:55AM GMT 
oearlyr 4 Feb 2003 12:28AM GMT