Search for content in message boards

Josiah Lawrence (edgecombe county)

Replies: 2

Re: Josiah Lawrence (edgecombe county)

Posted: 8 Dec 2013 12:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lawrence, Knight, Jones
Thank you, a novice move on my part.
Josiah Lawrence had slaves on 1840 census that fit the timeline. The mother Priscilla 1822 and the daughter Roberta 1836-7. Now I realize slaves were regarded as livestock and recorded in journals so exact dates may not exist, not to mention some holders burned their ledgers or lost the records. I'm hopeful that a descendent retained some journal. My thinking is that Priscilla was a house servant based on the 1870s census, but I can't assume this is my Priscilla. I'm guessing based on the fact the head of the household is Mary E. Lawrence, Josiah's widow. Josiah's will wouldn't contain much info as the majority of the holdings have left based on 1870 census.

There is also a man name Jack who is also a servant in Mary's household because I make no assumptions that they are related, but the possibility is there. I know Jack (John) passes in 1879, buried at Tarboro Primative. I know Priscilla is working for Josiah's nephew/son 1880 census.

Priscilla had a daughter Roberta who was taken as a match for Andrew Knight, as of right now I know Eliza is their first born, however given the times I have to assume their where others.

Forgive the rawness of my search, it's not meant to be an offense, but to find stories or journals that might give me a window into putting facts to names.

Again, thank you for your time.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ModMyFam 6 Dec 2013 7:56PM GMT 
thomasker2 8 Dec 2013 2:05PM GMT 
ModMyFam 8 Dec 2013 7:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions