Search for content in message boards

Solomon Shoaf (1847-1911)

Replies: 0

Solomon Shoaf (1847-1911)

Posted: 19 Mar 2013 7:22AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have a big mystery I am try to solve and am hoping someone out there researching the Shoaf family can help me resolve this.

There is a Solomon Lindsay Shoaf who we know married a Mary Proctor (sometimes spelled Procter) on 3-7-1867 in Davidson County, North Carolina. Do not know when Mary died but do know she and Solomon had at least six children.

Now where the mystery begins is some trees have Solomon marrying a Martha Conrad McKnight on 10-6-1881 in Forsyth County, North Carolina. Yet we have proof from a death certificate that Solomon and Martha Proctor Shoaf had a son Hamilton Judson Shoaf born on 8-5-1882(10 months after the marriage of Solomon and Martha McKnight). So if this Solomon is one in the same person then he married Martha McKnight while he was still married to Martha Proctor.
More on Martha Conrad McKnight Shoaf: Martha was the daughter of Joseph and Nancy Stultz Conrad. Martha's first husband was Coston Lafayette McKnight. They were married in Forsyth County on 5-23-1861. Coston died in the Civil War in Charlottesville, VA on 5-22-1862. They had one child William Franklin McKnight born 2-18-1862 and died 6-7-1932.

So now the puzzle gets more complicated. If the Martha Shoaf in the 1900 census-showing her, Solomon and Lizzie-then Lizzie belongs to Solomon and his first wife-for Martha's son would be living elsewhere and it definitely shows this Martha had only one child.

If anyone can help me with this mystery-you can post comments on this message board or contact me directly at jbk6397@bellsouth.net.

Thank You,
Brady Wooten Kerr

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions