Search for content in message boards

YOUNG - late 1700s

Replies: 17

Re: YOUNG - late 1700s

Posted: 24 Apr 2012 11:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
I have researched John "Jack" Young quite extensively (Pacific was the name of Youngsville prior to it being named Youngsville - John gave the land for the railroad station so they named it after him). John & his brother Wiley gave land for the Baptist & Methodist Church also. Lib Cheatham (historian in Youngsville also did a lot of research about the Young family). Could Heck Young have been a nephew of John's? Macklin Young was in the 1870 census - he was 50 years old at that time. That would mean he was born around 1820. That was only 16 - 18 years (some records say John was born in 1802 - some 1804) after John was born. John & Penelope Lassiter weren't married until 1827 so I'm not sure if he was their child. Who were your grandmother's grandparents? My direct descendant from John was Henry Young (his son). John had 4 sons that went to the Civil War, Allan (Allen) P. Young, Thomas Jefferson Young, Francis Marion Young, and my great great grandfather Henry H. Young. Allan died in the war but I've not been able to find out where ....I supposed it was on the battlefield. Thomas & Francis were both captured & both died in prison. Thomas Jefferson died and is buried at Finns Point, Delaware. Francis Marion died in a Richmond Prison. Henry was in the last battle of the Civil War at Appomattox, Va. On the last day of the Civil War his regiment marched into the last fight and his regiment fired the last shot before the surrender. Allan had children & I think Thomas Jefferson might have.

Let me know your grandmother's parents' names and her grandparents' name that were kin directly to the Youngs. I've been able to go back as far as the late 1700's. I feel sure John Young Sr's family came from Essex County, Va and then settled in Bute County, NC (which Franklin County came out of). I have no idea where they got their money but I do know they owned slaves & owned land as far out as 401 toward Louisburg.

The Youngs have a family cemetery in Youngsville but about 90% of the graves are unmarked so we'll probably never know who's buried there. Part of the newer generation (if you can call graves from the late 1800's to the early 1900's newer). Not sure why they weren't buried in the family cemetery.

Always good to hear from a relative!

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Virginia Young Kellum 17 Mar 2005 10:54PM GMT 
Presley4v 19 Apr 2012 11:42PM GMT 
GinnyYoungKel... 24 Apr 2012 5:37PM GMT 
Presley4v 13 Jul 2012 5:23PM GMT 
GinnyYoungKel... 14 Jul 2012 5:10AM GMT 
Presley4v 13 Jul 2012 5:24PM GMT 
smithste11 9 Aug 2012 1:32PM GMT 
GinnyYoungKel... 10 Aug 2012 1:14AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions