Search for content in message boards

Sherwood & John GRIMSLEY

Replies: 2

Re: Sherwood & John GRIMSLEY

Posted: 20 Mar 2013 12:29PM GMT
Classification: Query
I've established from historical documents that my 4th great grandfather was Capt Joseph Grimsley, Born 3 Mar 1777 in South Carolina, Died 24 Oct 1860 in Early, Georgia, United States.

Others on Ancestry.com have Joseph's father as John Grimsley, son of Sherwood Grimsley. I have not found any proof of those relations, however. I have not been successful in locating any historical documents with information about who Joseph's father was. I'd love to continue that branch of my tree, so if you have any information, I'd appreciate it.

I have found this in published literature about Capt. Joseph:
Joseph Grimsley, the head of the Grimsley family in Georgia, was a native Carolinian, coming to Georgia when a young man, and settling in Baldwin county. Here he married and had a family of children: Priscilla; Richard; Mrs. Odom; and Walton. In the early part of the twenties he moved to Early county on what is now known as Herrod’s creek. Here he built mills which he conducted up to the time of his death, Oct. 24, 1860, aged 80 years In politics he was a whig, in religion he belonged to the Methodist church. He was a captain in the war of 1812, and served with distinction. He was possessed of a good education for the times, and was a lover of sport, taking much pleasure in the hunt and with the rod.

A brother of Joseph, Richard Grimsley, located in Early county some years before him and settled the plantation now owned by Mr. Narainore, and the first court ever held in Early county was held at Richard Grimsley’s house. He afterward moved to Kalomokee creek, in Clay county, and built one of the first mills in that section of the state. He lived there up to the time of his death in 1840, when the property was turned over to the heirs of Joseph Grimsley, Richard having died without issue.

The 1818 act creating Early County made no provision for a county seat. An act of 1819 organizing the county designated the justices of the inferior court as courthouse and jail commissioners and authorized them to select a county seat "as near the centre thereof as convenience will admit" (Ga. Laws 1819, p. 65). The act further directed that until a courthouse was erected, Early County courts were to meet at the house of Richard Grimsley in the 28th district. An act of Dec. 19, 1823 appointed William Howard, John Dennard, Wright Sheffield, Samuel C. B. Jackson and Joseph Grimsley as commissioners to select a temporary seat of government for Early County and to erect a temporary courthouse (Ga. Laws 1823, p. 57). In 1826, Benjamin Collier gave the county 25 acres for use as the county seat. An act of Dec. 27, 1826 provided that "the present site of the public buildings in the county of Early, be and the same is hereby made permanent, and shall be called and known by the name of Blakely" (Ga. Laws 1826, p. 174). Reportedly, the town was named for War of 1812 naval captain Johnson Blakely (1781-1841). The legislature incorporated Blakely on Oct. 24, 1870 (Ga. Laws 1870, p. 168).
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jim Young 20 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT 
rimamac2 15 May 2007 3:10PM GMT 
BolekC 20 Mar 2013 6:29PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions