Search for content in message boards

Wahab Family on Hatteras Island, NC

Replies: 3

Wahab Family on Hatteras Island, NC

Posted: 15 Aug 2010 11:40AM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm working on the Wahab family on Hatteras Island, NC. This is current Dare, former Hyde and originally Currituck County.

I have downstream info on some of the family members, but if anyone can contribute to the reconstruction of this family, I'd be very grateful. I have posted some of the early info I've found.

The Wahab family is often rumored to be Indian. I suspect this is in part due to the rather unusual surname itself, which is a derivative of the surname Wauchope as proven by DNA testing.

James Wahab is first found on Hatteras in a 1738 land transaction, so he was born before 1717 and possibly is the James who married Anne Pryor in Norfolk County, Va in 1795. If he is this James, he would have been 100 years old when he died in 1774, so he is more likely the son of that James.

Ellen Cloud reports finding Capt. Thomas Waughop of St. Mary's County Maryalnd who was the son of John Waughop of Piney Point. John was born in 1631 and died in 1677. His son Thomas died in 1701 and had sons John and James. In 1795 she find James marrying Ann Pryor in Norfolk County, Va.

James Wahab who lived on Hatteras Island died in 1774 leaving 3 sons and 2 daughters.

In a 1955 article in the Coastland Times about Robert Stanley Wahab (born Feb. 3, 1888) it states "If people find Robert to be an unusual character, it would not be altogether surprising. In his veins runs the blood of pirates and the blood of Arabs and the mixture could scarcely be expected to produce commonplace." It goes on to say that his father, Hatton, was descended from an Arabian sailor who was cast ashore on Ocracoke from a shipwreck in the early 1700s and his mother Martha Ann Howard came down the line from the Howard who served as quartermaster aboard the ship of Edward Teach, the pirate better known as Blackbeard.

Please contact me if you have info or need info at robertajestes@att.net

Roberta Estes
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RobertaEstes1... 15 Aug 2010 5:40PM GMT 
neil wahab 27 Jan 2013 1:58PM GMT 
jefferspam 30 Jan 2013 12:10PM GMT 
neil wahab 30 Jan 2013 7:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic