Search for content in message boards

James Weston in Hyde County from 1840-1860. Slave names / record upon being freed?

Replies: 3

James Weston in Hyde County from 1840-1860. Slave names / record upon being freed?

Posted: 4 Mar 2011 11:37AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Weston
Good afternoon:

I am looking for the names of James Weston's slaves during 1830's - 1850's in Hyde County? I believe he may have fathered a child with one of the slaves. Ibba / Ibby was a free mulatto woman in 1860 and had a son Silas in 1825. On Silas Weston's marriage record in 1869, he lists his father as James Weston. His mother was listed as Ibba / Ibby. I am trying to find the right James Weston.

The James Weston I found in Hyde County is listed on the slave schedule as having 8 slaves in 1850. I am curious if Ibba / Ibby is one of them, and wonder if Silas Weston resulted from this relationship.

Here are the documents on which I have questions:

Known: 1830 census / Hyde County. Elizabeth Weston is the only Weston listed in the county, on the census.

1840 census / Hyde County (page 86)
I believe James might be listed on page 86. He is listed as having 5 slaves and appears to be between 20-30 years of age. Is the William E. Weston listed on census page 98 his brother?

1850 Slave Schedule in Mattamuskeet, NC (page 471?)
James Weston is listed with 8 slaves. William Weston is also listed. Is this his brother? When I attempt to click on any of the census years for Free Persons of Color, I get an error message?

1850 census / Hyde County (page ?)
This census appears to have been indexed by last name. The surname Weston appears on pages 354B-358A-360B. Would it be possible for someone to look up these census pages and send them to me? I would like to see if James is listed, and if any slave names appear.

1860 census / Hyde County (James isn’t listed?)
The Weston surname is listed on pages 66a, 75b, 77a, 124b. James name does not appear in Hyde County, to my knowledge, in this census / county.
Silas was born about 1825. It appears that Silas has moved to Rutherford County, NC by 1860. His mother also appears in Rutherford County in 1860, a few houses away.
Is there any other information that would point to James leaving Hyde County, NC before this census was taken? He doesn’t appear on the 1865 tax list in Hyde County.

Because Ibba / Ibby and Silas appear to be free mulatto persons on the 1860 census, is there something that would’ve documented her being “freed” before 1860, in Hyde County?

I would really appreciate any assistance in this matter.

Thank you,
Shelly
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
shellyacarey 4 Mar 2011 6:37PM GMT 
jefferspam 21 Mar 2011 7:46PM GMT 
jefferspam 22 Mar 2011 3:06PM GMT 
jefferspam 22 Mar 2011 4:18PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions