as written by Catherine LassiterWilliam (1791-1875) was the oldest of Elijah Lassiter. William may have been born before his family came to JOhnston County. he lived in elijah 's house ifso it is the oldest settled Land on the Lassiter Plantation. The cementary that William is buried in is now gone and it is thought that Elijah and his wife may have been buried there also.
In 1818 William received 353 acres of land ffrom his father Elijah Sr. and 1832 received 150 acres more. In 1836 he bought 350 acres from his brother Elijah before he moved to Alabama. For several years he continued to buy land from his neighbors and finally owned over 2,100 acres of land by 1869. It is the land on both sides of the Lassiter Road and on both sides of black Creek. It was given to his sons.
William widely known as Uncle Billy in has last years. In his will he gave his wife Lucythe 600 acres on which they lived and the 70 acre mill tractfor her natural life. In his personal property all was given to her. At her deaththe 670 acres were sold and divided among all his heirs. He had already given most of his land to his children. Mary, Martha, and Sarah in their father's will received $500 in lieu of Land
William was the executerof his father Elijah's will. William was not mentioned in the will but had already received 500 acres from his father including the homeplace.
It was thought that he first Lassiters, Elijah and William lived on a ridge between the two brances of Sassaraxia. In this area is some of the oldest history of Johnston County. Where Sassaraixa runs into Black creek, Green's Path crosssed the Creek. Green's Path was the first through highway for white settlers headed southwest from Virginia. Some of the first Johston County settlers came by way of this trail first used by the Indians.