Search for content in message boards

Lemuel Parker-Missing in Bertie aft. 1860 Found in Jones Co. 1870???

Replies: 0

Lemuel Parker-Missing in Bertie aft. 1860 Found in Jones Co. 1870???

Posted: 19 Aug 2011 1:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Parker
My ancestor, Lemuel Parker of Bertie Co., a farmer, disappeared after the 1860 Bertie Co. census. I have court documents,(ie.deed of sale, 1860, probate for reg. of a land deed by purchaser of Lemuel's Bertie land,1869, and Lttrs of Admin. for settlement of estate, 1893, all of which prove that he was literally "missing and believed to be dead" and then finally "known to be dead," in 1893.
I have found a Lemuel Parker in Beaver Creek, Jones Co., on the 1870 Fed. Census. He was the perfect age, 60, b. 1810 (to be mine.)But -- he was listed as black and was the head of a household with a wife and several children, all of whom were listed as black.
Either this man was my farmer ancestor with a second family, or he was a man who had been the slave of a family of Parkers and (after the Civil War,) owned his own land, or he was a freeman who had always owned land.
My Bertie Co. Lemuel Parker was apparently never seen alive, again,and in 1893, his youngest son took out letters of admin. on his dad's estate for a land rights case, certifying that Lemuel was "known to be dead."
I'm looking for 1st names of Parkers in or near the Beaver Creek area of Jones Co. between 1860 and 1870. Any suggestions, names, materials I could check, etc. would be appreciated.
Best Wishes.

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions