Search for content in message boards

Junius Culbreth "J.C." Jones, North Carolina

Replies: 4

Re: Junius Culbreth "J.C." Jones, North Carolina

Posted: 11 Sep 2003 4:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Dec 2006 4:08PM GMT
First of all, I don't want to get your hopes up because I don't have JC in my tree (yet) but since I am brickwalled on MY Joneses, from the same area, maybe we have some missing puzzle pieces for each other. I do have Velina Brooks and Allen Jones in my database, because Velina's brother Francis Marion Brooks is the ancestor of a man who married one of my Jones cousins.
I am intrigued by Baldwin Henderson Jones. I see that he lived in Chatham at one time. Although I DO have a lot of Hendersons in the family, Baldy's name may have been chosen as a tribute to local or national military or political heroes. This was common! Lots of Jeffersons and Lees and Lafayettes. Not many LINCOLNs, tho! Ha!
The Jones I am looking for is Calvin Sneed Baker Jones, my GGgranddad. I have no idea where the Sneed came from. We believe his mother's name to have been Naomi Baker. We don't even know exactly where he was born, although the birth year of 1822 was found by one cousin. He was in Chatham in 1850 and 1860. We believe he died in 1866, but I have not yet found a grave or any other proof, other than his wife Martha being a widow in 1870.
My Jones family lived mostly in Chatham, Orange, and Alamance. Still, we haven't found Calvin S B's daddy.He could have been from Wake or Moore. Calvin married Martha Perry, and the Perrys didn't let their daughters marry anyone they didn't know. It is said that Calvin S B's father was a Rev. James Jones, born abt 1789, but I have never run into any record of him. Calvin was on the committee to acquire land for the Browns Chapel Methodist church in Chatham, but no sign of a grave there for him.
If you like, you can e-mail me at
dotsicle5@sbcglobal.net

Nancy
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Charlotte Jones Harrington 1 Jan 2003 10:24PM GMT 
NancyJones226 11 Sep 2003 10:25PM GMT 
Diana Case 15 Sep 2003 3:51PM GMT 
Charlotte Jones Harrinton 15 Sep 2003 4:10PM GMT 
Charlotte Jon... 29 Dec 2011 5:30AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic