Search for content in message boards

William Faron Cobb

Replies: 3

Re: William Faron Cobb

Posted: 7 Aug 2012 8:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cobb / Cox
I came across this today while researching my great-grandmother's maternal line. I knew that her mom had died when she was very young and she didn't know much about her mom, so am glad to have all this info at our fingertips now - just have to slog through lot's of stuff! It has taken me several years to finally find anything at all about her mom. I'm thankful that my sister's high school teacher made them do a family tree! Anyway, I found out that my great-grandmother (Ruby Cox Welge)was raised by her step-mother, as her own mother died when Ruby was just 3 years old. Her mother was Mary M. Cobb COX, also known as "Maggie", which is why it took me so long to locate anything about her. I found a picture of her tombstone on find-a-grave and it just has her name "Maggie Cobb Cox" and the years "1870" and "1890". I know she was born after the 1870 Federal Census as she wasn't listed yet. I also found thather parents were Whitfield COBB and Nancy Lavina (M.N. Unk.) COBB. I also found that Whitfield's father's name was William Cobb - the only thing is, some sites give his name as "William Leander Cobb", while others list it as "William Faron Cobb". Also, some sites list his wife as being 'Jane Reid",while others list her as "Jane Whitefield". Does anyone ahve 'proof' (such as census records, etc.) telling how they came about the names they give. I need to do more research when I have the time, but that is what i have found out so far. I just wish they had computers back when my great-grandmother was still alive. I know she always wondered about her biological mom - what she was like, etc. I'm sure her step-mom did the best she could raising them. I know the step-mother (Ettie Hendrix COX) had a hard life. she was already widowed twice at the time she met my great-great grandfather, plus she lost her son from her first marriage due to some accident when he was in his teens. Her second husband was killed in a train accident - crushed by the wheel when the pin he was removing caused his foot to get caught, pulling him under the wheel. The newspaper article says he lived for several hours (about 8) before finally sucumbing to his injuries. That had to be mighty hard for a young wife to have to witness, especially after having already lost one husband and her son just 2 years earlier. Old-timers who talk about the 'good old days' must have been 'real' lucky in their life experiences.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Mike Enerson 8 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Mike Enerson 22 Jul 2004 12:51PM GMT 
vlclan 27 Sep 2011 9:05PM GMT 
deborahgrasty... 8 Aug 2012 2:28AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic