Search for content in message boards

Cloer

Replies: 18

Cloer et al

Posted: 30 Nov 1998 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Jan 2006 5:53PM GMT
Surnames: Cloer, Anderson, Bates
I am writing here because I think our "conversations" may hold some merit to other researchers. I am also laughing as I write this. Obviously, we've got a tangle here. Let's see if I can sort a little of it out.

First, James Nelson CLOER IS the son of Louisa BATES and Joshua CLOER. This Louisa BATES being the one I mentioned as the daughter of William and Christina CARPENTER BATES. Her husband was Joshua Judson CLOER, not William Joshua CLOER (which is, I think, what your previous query said...correct me if I'm wrong!!!). This Joshua Judson CLOER was the son of Elijah B. CLOER, Sr. (1800-1887) and Sarah HOWARD as previously mentioned.

There was another group of Cloer's in the area at the time, namely the family of John and Agnes CLOER of Iredell Co., NC. They had four children: Sarah, John A. (who married Gracie AMMONS), Nicholas J. (who married Matilda CARPENTER) and William Marcus (who married Susan LEDFORD). It is William Marcus who I believe to be the father of your Jacob M. CLOER. From census records, his brother's (John) middle name DID begin with an A. William was, I think, called Mark (as opposed to William or Marcus). An important thing to note here is that Jacob was not listed with John and Grace on the 1860 census of Macon Co., NC. If he was their son, he definitely should have been there. Unfortunately, I have lost some information in my database and no longer have the 1860 census information for William Marcus and Susan LEDFORD CLOER. At any rate, Jacob's father WAS Mark CLOER, but his mother was Susan LEDFORD. This conflict is probably due to an error on the part of the informant on the death certificate, which is more common than you would think (I recently ran into a couple who had the wrong parental information on BOTH of their death certificates...the informant for each was their youngest son, which might explain the discrepancy).

I think now would be a good time to mention some dates to help clear up some confusion on the CLOER family.

John CLOER born c1801 Caswell Co., NC married Agnes ----- born c1797 Wake Co., NC. Children:

1. Susan CLOER born c1822 Iredell Co., NC
2. John A. CLOER born c1824 Iredell Co., NC married Grace AMMONS, daughter of Joshua AMMONS and Pherabie HOLLAND
3. Nicholas J. CLOER born c1826 Iredell Co., NC married Matilda CARPENTER, daughter of William CARPENTER and Margaret McCONNELL
4. William Marcus CLOER born c1828 Iredell Co., NC married Susan LEDFORD, daughter of Jesse LEDFORD and Elizabeth McCURRY

As to how this family may or may not be related to Elijah B. CLOER, Sr....well, I don't know. All I know is that John and Agnes's 3 sons intermarried with families that I've researched (Matilda CARPENTER and Susan LEDFORD were great-something aunts of mine). If you think I'm in error somewhere, please don't hesitate to let me know. I'd rather you told me than have me think something that's wrong!! :-) Hope this has helped sort things out.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jim Brown 24 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Dawn Watson 27 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Jim Brown 28 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Dawn Watson 30 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT 
gemzzz49 22 Jan 2010 10:43PM GMT 
JS Rayfield 4 Dec 1998 12:00PM GMT 
S.Welton 6 May 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Dawn Watson 6 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT 
gemzzz49 19 Jan 2010 7:00PM GMT 
Dawn Watson 19 Jan 2010 7:37PM GMT 
per page