Search for content in message boards

Gosnell & Sams families of Madison County, NC

Replies: 25

Re: Gosnell & Sams families of Madison County, NC

Posted: 19 Jul 2003 11:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Nov 2006 2:03PM GMT
Dear Lisa:

Thank you so much for posting the family information on William Rollins Gosnell and Agnes Callie Sams. However, your incorrect about one of the parents of William Rollins Gosnell. He was fathered by Solomon Dudley, and Solomon Dudley and Margaret Elizabeth Sams never married. Note: Records have the father of their four children listed as Wiley Gosnell. However, William Rollins Gosnell is the child of Solomon Dudley of Greenville, Tennessee. He were born after Wiley Gosnell's death in 1867.

In addition, Wiley Gosnell was a UNION soldier in the Civil War, and was killed while on leave at Rice's Mill, Big Laurel, Madison County, North Carolina.

Burial: Gosnell Cemetery, Sodom Laurel, Madison County, North Carolina.

The following information was provided by Kim Brummett:

Wiley was killed by a band of guerillas that roamed the countryside of Madison County, North Carolina who preyed on the elderly, women and children while the men were fighting away from their homes during the Civil War. Wiley was home on leave when the ambush took place. After the war was over it has been told by family members that some of the men from the area and some family found most of these guerillas called "Keith's Detail" and had them "drawn and quartered and their entrails laid across a fence for Wiley's widow to witness. It was called "mountain justice." After Wiley's murder it was up to the women and children to dress his body and bury him. His body was placed on a "litter" pulled by a mule up to the top of the mountain above where Wiley lived and the women and children dug the grave and buried him and held the service. In October of 1996 I was privileged to have climbed this mountain and visit not only Wiley's grave but those of his father and mother and other family members. It is an experience that I will never forget. The area at this time was called Sodom Laurel, but the name was later changed to Revere.

Also, Margaret Elizabeth Sams died January 21, 1891, and was buried at Grapevine Baptist Church Cemetery, Madison County, North Carolina.

Anyway, I would be pleased to send you everything I have on the family descendants. If your related, will you please do the same. Thanks again!

Best regards,

Leah Pearson
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Leah Pearson 29 May 2003 6:20AM GMT 
Lisa Crowder Bass 18 Jul 2003 1:27AM GMT 
Leah Pearson 20 Jul 2003 5:45AM GMT 
slag1861 20 Jul 2003 9:44PM GMT 
Leah Pearson 21 Jul 2003 4:50AM GMT 
rockbatter1 15 Jul 2012 12:45PM GMT 
bosharpe 29 Aug 2003 10:51AM GMT 
Leah Pearson 1 Sep 2003 8:00AM GMT 
bosharpe 1 Sep 2003 10:01PM GMT