Search for content in message boards

TAYLOR, HARRELL, GRIFFIN, SAVAGE, & WEEKS

Replies: 18

TAYLOR, HARRELL, GRIFFIN, SAVAGE, & WEEKS

Jennifer Price (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 1998 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
I would appreciate any help from descendants of the names above in Martin Co. and anyone else willing to help me find my ancestors from Martin Co. I have come across so many individuals with TAYLOR,GRIFFIN,HARRELL,SAVAGE,and WEEKS ties to Martin and Edgecombe Co.,but in two years of constant tries, I have unbelievably gotten nowhere with this family.

My great great great grandfather was JOHN DANIEL TAYLOR, who was living in the home of WILLIAM (O.K.?)GRIFFIN, age 30 in the 1850 census for Martin Co. At the time, JOHN D. TAYLOR was only 12. Also living in the home of this WILLIAM GRIFFIN was CAROLYN/CAROLINE GRIFFIN 23(his wife i'm assuming), JAMES HARRELL 30, SALLY HARRELL 40, and John's two older sisters, MARTHA TAYLOR 16, and CAROLINE/CAROLYN TAYLOR, 14. It is family oral history that John, Martha, and Carolyn/Caroline Taylor's parent's were JOHN TAYLOR and MARY WEEKS, but this cannot be proven(no other names either). Apparently, this John and Mary Taylor must have been dead by the 1850 census, but no one is quite sure what happened to them, except one of my grandmother's cousins, who says that before there was treatment for RABEES, my greatx4 grandmother, this Mary contracted the illness and bit her husband, John Sr., infecting him as well. It was also said that they had to be tied to a tree to keep them from infecting others. Are there any obituaries, wills, or anything around that might prove anything for me?

John Daniel Taylor(a carpenter/engineer) at some point(late 1850's- ca.1860) moved to Washington Co.,GA(how/with whom and why he came here is a mystery). However, his wife was an Amanda Melvira Moye, the grandaughter of a Richard and Conford/Comfort GRIFFIN(haven't been able to find anything on these Griffins). And they had the following children: JOHN DANIEL Taylor, WILLIAM B. Taylor, THOMAS J. Taylor, MILLARD S. Taylor, VERGIL Taylor, JULIA Taylor, MARY LIZZIE Taylor, VIRGINIA(Jenny)Taylor,and LELIA Taylor.

Of the other two children of John Taylor and Mary Weeks, Martha married a CALVIN SAVAGE, and some of their children were named: CALVIN Jr.,THOMAS,MARTHA, ALICE, and WILLIAM.
I have a picture of THOMAS SAVAGE and his family. Caroline/Carolyn Taylor married a VENTIS, supposedly.

John Daniel Taylor (my greatx3 gramps)was a private in Co.B, 12th GA Battallion., so i can definately prove that his name was JOHN DANIEL TAYLOR. Earlier this evening I found a marriage for a JOHN D. TAYLOR of Edgecombe Co.to a HATTIE HARRELL of Martin Co.in 1882 in the marriage records on-line. I also found the marriage of a John Taylor of Edgecombe to a Mary E. Whitehurst of Martin Co., and the marriage of a DANIEL TAYLOR of Martin to Amerasy?, Ayers among other Taylor marriages. I know that the John D.Taylor and the Harrell must definately be relatives of mine. Help please!!!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jennifer Price 10 Aug 1998 12:00PM GMT 
Kim Hill 22 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT 
J. Price 24 Nov 1998 12:00PM GMT 
lindataylor57... 2 Jan 2009 1:57AM GMT 
Savage5018 22 Apr 2009 9:00PM GMT 
lindataylor57... 23 Apr 2009 1:31PM GMT 
Savage5018 12 Jun 2009 3:54PM GMT 
Savage5018 12 Jun 2009 3:59PM GMT 
lindataylor57... 16 Jun 2009 12:30PM GMT 
jenniferfitzn... 17 Mar 2012 2:16AM GMT 
per page