Search for content in message boards

George Forrest

Replies: 13

Re: George and Winiford Forrest

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 10:08AM GMT
Classification: Query
drader77,

Thank you for all of this. There is some new information here that I did not know about.

First, about your question regarding Joiner/Joyner. In official Martin County records, the name is Joyner. The father of Wineford Forrest was Thomas Joyner. He is listed as with the Joyner spelling both in a 1782 deed and in his 1790 will.

I am not sure how the "Joiner" spelling came into use. If my notes are correct, the state census of North Carolina in 1786-7 has Thomas Joiner instead of Joyner. I can't find my notes on the federal census in 1790, but it may have him as Joiner, also. My branch of the Forrest's has always referred to Thomas Joiner Forrest as our ancestor (oldest son of George and Wineford). We believe a family Bible published in 1826 belonged to Thomas, and in that Bible, he is just listed as "Thomas J. Forrest."

In that same Bible, it mentions "George and Wineford" Forrest, with Wineford being the same spelling as in her will. However, she named one of her daughters, "Winifred."

The information you provided that is new to me is the following.

1. That George Forrest was a witness to Elizabeth Yelverton's will.

2. That George probably purchased land in Wayne County in 1797 under the name "Farris."

3. That there is an Outterbridge/Coffield/Sherrod Bible. Do you have copies of the pages from that Bible? I would really like to obtain copies of it.

By the way, did you know that George and Wineford's son, Samuel Forrest, married Zilpha Sherrod from Wayne County? In Samuel's will, he mentions his nephew Samuel Yelverton as an heir. Also, there is a road very close to where I grew up named Yelverton Road. It is located in Madison County, Tennessee very close to the Haywood County line. The only Yelverton's I knew growing up were two brothers who were auto mechanics. Their names were Finis and Carmac.

Gene
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Gene Forrest 6 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT 
Corinne470 1 Jun 2005 12:11AM GMT 
Gene Forrest 1 Jun 2005 2:30AM GMT 
TeresaJGorge 5 Sep 2009 7:04PM GMT 
geneforrest 7 Sep 2009 12:54AM GMT 
drader77 7 Oct 2009 12:03AM GMT 
drader77 8 Oct 2009 12:59AM GMT 
geneforrest 28 Oct 2009 4:08PM GMT 
drader77 3 Nov 2009 3:57AM GMT 
themways 28 Nov 2011 4:30AM GMT