The following information is contained in the case W. C. & J. W. Vaulx et al vs Mary C. Burtwell, held in the Rutherford County, Tennessee, Chancery Court, 1877-1878
The information comes primarily from a deposition given by Ann E. Henderson of Lincolnton, North Carolina on August 19, 1878. The source of her information was a family record of births, deaths and marriages that she had in her possession since 1863. At the time of the deposition, Ann Henderson was 53 years old and Lawson Henderson was her grandfather. Lawson Henderson was born and lived his entire life in Lincoln County, North Carolina. Lawson Henderson was born March 22, 1774 and died November 21, 1843.
Lawson Henderson married Elizabeth Carruth on July 26, 1798. They had fourteen children as follows:
1. Wallace Alexander Henderson, born December 2, 1799 and died April 24, 1823 at the home of Dr. L. Les Dilly in the town of Havanna on the island of Cuba, age 23 years, 4 months and 22 days. He left no children.
2. John Carruth Henderson, born October 9, 1801 and died November 17, 1833, age 37 years, 1 month and 8 days. He left the following children: His wife was Nancy R. Henderson.
a. Hugh Lawson Franklin Henderson, born February 12, 1830.
b. Charles Coatsworth Pinkney Henderson, born January 26, 1833. He lived in Canton, Madison County, Mississippi.
c. Jane Graham Henderson, born February 8, 1820 and died June 30, 1840.
3. Charles Coatsworth Henderson, born November 8, 1803 and died February 13, 1869, age 65 years, 3 months and 5 days. He left 10 children, 7 of whom were living on date of deposition:
a. Ann Elizabeth Henderson
b. Barbara Malinda Henderson, married S. P. Sherrill.
c. Margaret Barry Henderson, married John D. Shaw.
d. Theodora Christina Henderson, married Robert Sowers.
e. Fanny Anulia Henderson, married George L. Davis.
All of the above were living in Lincoln County, North Carolina.
f. Lawson Pinkney Henderson, Burke County, North Carolina
g. Charles Coatsworth Henderson, Ettowa County, Alabama.
h. Mary Helen Henderson, married L. A. Hozle. She died August 15, 1866 leaving two children:
A. John B., age 13 years, living in Lincolnton, Lincoln County, North Caroline
B. Fanny Glenn, age 18, living in Sedalia, Missouri
i. Theodoria W. B. Henderson died young.
j. Harriet Caroline Henderson died young.
4. Lawson Franklin Henderson, born January 3, 1806 and died March 17, 1858, in New Orleans, Louisiana, age 52 years, 2 months and 4 days. He left two children:
a. Margaret May Henderson, married Barlow Treadwell and lived in Memphis, Tennessee.
b. Annie E. C. Henderson, Alabama
5. James Pinkney Henderson, born March 31, 1808 and died June 4, 1858. He was at one time the Governor of Texas. He left a wife, Frances Cox Henderson, and three daughters:
a. Fanny Cox Henderson who married in Germany.
b. Julia B. Henderson, married Edward W. Adams.
Both of the daughters and their mother lived in Dresdan, Germany.
c. Martha Lyman
6. Jared Irwin Henderson, born March 27, 1810 and died January 26, 1821, age 10 years and 10 months.
7. Hugh Lawson Henderson, born March 21, 1812 and died January 26, 1837 on Brig Orson, age 24 years 10 months and 5 days. James Chace was master of the ship. The ship was on a voyage from St. Croix to Savannah. The ship was 20 days from St. Croix and 12 days from Savannah. He was unmarried and left no children.
8. George William Henderson, born June 19, 1814 and died November 21, 1850, age 36 years, 5 months and 2 days. He left a widow and two children: The widow married Dr. F. A. Effenger and lived in Portland, Oregon.
a. Charles Coatsworth Henderson, died in infancy.
b. Emma Eugenia Henderson, married Wm. H. Effenger and lived in Portland, Oregon.
9. Many Graham Henderson, born January 24, 1816 and died January 25, 1877. She married Thos. N. Hernden. She died leaving three children:
a. Benjamin Pinkney Hernden, Mississippi
b. George L. C. Hernden, Galveston, Texas
c. Mary Wallace Dickinson, was living with brother George in Galveston, Texas.
10. Logan Barry Henderson, born April 24, 1818 and died July 23, 1844 at Marshall, Hamilton County, Texas, age 26 years, 2 months and 29 days. He was unmarried and left no children.
11. Walter Carruth Henderson, born May 16, 1820 and died January 15, 1850, Canton, Madison County, Mississippi, age 29 years, 7 months and 30 days. He was unmarried and left no children.
12. Margritt Sarah Henderson, born April 26, 1822 and died January 3, 1823.
13. Jane Eliza Henderson, born September 31, 1824 and died October 13, 1825,
14. Wallace Alexander Irwin Henderson, born June 18, 1827 and died January 15, 1851, Canton, Madison County, Mississippi, age 24 years, 6 months and 28 days. He left no children.
Adam Carruth died October 13, 1818 age 33 years 2 months and 25 days
Elizabeth Carruth died October 17, 1819 age 67 years, 4 months and 26 days
Walter Carruth died September 21, 1821 age 25 years 6 months and 8 days
John Carruth (Father) died June 8, 1828 age 76 years 6 months and 24 days
George Carruth died October 7th 1829 age 39 years 5 months and 15 days
Major Lawson Henderson March 22, 1774
Elizabeth Carruth March 20, 1783
Barbara G. Bryden October 22, 1802
Nancy R. Henderson died May 30, 1836, wife of John Carruth Henderson.
Major Lawson Henderson died Tuesday November 21, 1843 age 69 years, 8 months and 29 days
Mrs. Elizabeth Henderson died July 28, 1849 just before 8 a.m., age 66 years, 4 months and 7 days.
James P. Henderson died June 4, 1858, age 50 years, 2 months and 4 days.
Mary G. Herndon died in New Orleans, Louisiana, January 25, 1877.
Lawson I. H. Henderson died March 17, 1858, age
Lawson Henderson had four brothers and three sisters as follows:
1. John Henderson, died about 1828.
2. James Henderson
3. William Henderson
4. Logan Henderson, died September or October, 1846. He left one son:
a. James Franklin Henderson, Rutherford County, Tennessee.
5. Mary Henderson, married John Patterson.
6. Martha Henderson, married ______ McCoy of Mecklenburg County, North Carolina
7. Catherine Henderson, married William Logan
The brothers of Lawson Henderson all moved to Rutherford County, Tennessee and all died there except James who was killed a few days after the Battle of New Orleans in January 1815 on or near the battleground. Martha McCoy lived and died in Mecklenburg County, date of death unknown. Mary Patterson lived and died in Sumner County, Tennessee, date of death unknown. Catherine Logan died in Middle Tennessee, date of death unknown.
Some of the descendants of Martha McCoy lived in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina and some names Williamson, lived in Arkansas. Henry McCoy, son of Martha Henderson McCoy, lived in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.