I cannot prove with documentation That George Loy Sr. (1771-1840) and Nancy Ferguson (1772-1840) were the parents of Yancy Loy (1815-1878), but I offer the following facts, logic and some speculation.
1. We know by the census records of Rhea Co. TN. that Yancy Loy was born between 1815 and 1818 in North Carolina. This would make him 12-15 years old in the1830 census records.
2. We know by North Carolina marriage records that Yancy married Sara Essex in Orange Co. NC. on May 2, 1835.
3. We know by the 1850 census records that Yancy and Sara migrated to Rhea Co. TN. about 1838 by the age and birthplace of their children.
4. We know by the 1840 census records that Yancy and Sara migrated to Rhea Co. TN. along with Sara’s parents and family.
5. We know by the 1800 and 1810 census records that George Loy Sr. was married twice. First to Maria (unknown) in about 1791 in Orange Co. NC. The 1800 census records show George Loy and his wife, both 26-44 years old, with four children under 10 years old. The 1810 census records show George Loy over 45 years old with 2 boys and 3 girls under 10 years old, 1 girl 10-15, 1 boy 16-25 and 2 girls 16-25, and no wife. That would tell us that Maria must have died at the birth or soon after the birth of her son George Jr. in 1808.
6. We know by North Carolina marriage records that George Loy Sr. married Nancy Ferguson on April 22, 1812 in Orange Co. NC. There are no records of George Loy Sr. in 1820 or 1830 in Orange Co. NC. I did find a George Loy in Anderson Co. TN. in 1830, he was listed as 60-69 and she was listed as 40-49 with no children in the house.
7. We know by census records that some of the Loy family migrated into Union and Anderson Co. TN. and on into Kentucky 1810 - 1830.
8. In the 1830 census records for Orange Co. NC. there are only four Loy families left, John Loy Sr., (George Loy Sr.’s father), John Loy Jr. (son of John Loy Sr.), William Loy, (son of John Loy Sr. brother George Loy 1743-1798), and George Loy Jr. (son of George Loy Sr. and Maria Unknown). John Sr., John Jr. and William Loy are living close to each other near the town of Hillsborough NC. George Loy Jr. is living in the Northern District of Orange Co. that later became Alamance County in 1849. The James Essex family is living nearby. (Father of Sara Essex).
9. George Loy Jr. (1808 – 1870) Married Nancy Byrns Dec. 28, 1828 in Orange Co. NC. The 1830 census records show 3 children less than 5 years old living in the house; these would be the children of George Jr. and Nancy. Also living in the house are 2 teenage children a boy 15-19 years old and a girl 15 – 19 years old.
10. This is where the speculation comes in. I believe the Teen boy is George Jr. half brother Yancy Loy and the teen girl is his half sister (name unknown), both being the children of George Sr. and his second wife Nancy Ferguson. I believe that George Sr. and Nancy Ferguson moved west into Tennessee and their young son George Jr. elected to stay in Orange Co. along with his half brother and sister. Given that they lived close to the James Essex family and Yancy Loy and Sara Essex married in 1835, and that there are no other male Loy’s in the area of the same age range it only stands to reason.
11. Feel free to pick this apart or add to it. I am open to suggestions.
Ken Shipp Sept. 23, 2012