William Harper Sr. lived circa 1778 - 1789 on the east side of the Haw River along Basin Creek (formerly known as the Plum Branch of the Haw River) near the present-day town of Altamahaw, Alamance, North Carolina. This area was formerly part of the Chatham District of Orange County. Living adjacent to him were his sons, John Harper (m. Margaret Morrow) and William Harper [Jr.] (m. Elizabeth Gwin). He also had daughters Sarah Harper (m. John Gwin) and Susannah Harper (m. Thomas Garner) living nearby. All four Harper children subsequently relocated to the Pendleton District of South Carolina in the 1790s.
The name William Harper is not listed in Orange County on the 1790 census (compiled from tax records). The Chatham District of Orange County became part of Alamance County in 1849.
Susan Harper (b. 16 March 1769) who married James Barnhill/Barnwell lived very close to Reuben Harper (born circa 1738, and thought to be the son of Henry Harper of Essex County, Virginia, Richmond County, Virginia and Halifax County, North Carolina). Reuben Harper lived on land near Stagg Creek just north of present-day Mebane, Alamance, North Carolina. There are land records mentioning Reuben Harper in Orange County, North Carolina in 1793 and 1797, but his family lived in the area from about 1782 until about 1805.
Presently, there is no known link between the families of William Harper Senior and Reuben Harper, if any indeed existed. The names of the parents and the wife of William Harper Sr. are unknown. His wife was not Margaret Knox.
An Elizabeth Harper m. William Barnhill 23 August 1804 in Orange County, North Carolina.