Search for content in message boards

Zebedee Wood - MA - NC - Personal Items

Replies: 14

Zebedee Wood - MA - NC - Personal Items

Posted: 2 May 2008 1:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wood, Carson, Smith, Hardin, Julian
My mother, Lorene "Wood" Klepacki, passed away in Randolph County, NC, in December. In sorting through her estate I have found several items handed down to her through the Wood family. Her connection to Zebedee is:

Clyde Hubbard Wood (her father, my grandfather)
Henderson Wood (my great grandfather)
Samuel Wood (my gg grandfather)
Zebedee Wood - my ggg grandfather (b 1745 in MA, died Randolph County NC, 1824)

When Samuel Wood passed away, some of Zebedee's items were split up among the family. Henderson Wood had a farm up in Valle Crucis, NC (His wife, Hannah Hardin and their young son are buried in the Mast Family Cemetery in Valle Crucis) and he kept these items stored in a barn. This farm stayed in the Wood family up until the death of John Clark Wood. My grandfather and his family split the property up and he kept a chest of drawers which was made by Zebedee, two law books, a hand-loomed coverlet and an 1830's year-subscription to the Courier Tribune which Samuel had had professionally bound.

I am considering selling the Courier Tribune book - it is a huge book, an amazing record of Randolph County History, however, it is in dire need of professional care. Much of the middle of the book is still very clear and legible, however, the outer pages and binding are showing their age/spotted and crumbling.

I am selling the woven coverlet. It is in beautiful condition for its' age. It has been kept trunked and stored away for most of the years our family has had it. It is very, very large - would fit a king sized bed easily and is done in deep blues, reds and white, with a navy fringe all round. His being a Patriot of his stature, the colors are fitting! I would offer my opinion, however, that a collector or ancestor who would take this item would be well served to display it in a proper archival frame, under glass. I do not believe it would be an item that would survive much use as everyday bedding.

If anyone is interested in either the Newspaper or Coverlet, please contact me via email and I'll send photos.

I am selling these items as I have no family to leave them to and no place or means to properly care for them. I worked many years as a museum archivist and I know that leaving them to a museum or institution means that most likely, they will remain in a storage container and never be seen by the public at large unless they are included in a special exhibit.

I am also not donating them to extended family - for personal reasons. I would be happy to explain this, as well, via email.

Thanks,

Nancy Klepacki Harding
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Nannerlh 2 May 2008 7:03AM GMT 
jclacoss 2 May 2008 4:11PM GMT 
Nannerlh 3 May 2008 3:01PM GMT 
Linda Allred ... 3 May 2008 3:12PM GMT 
Linda Allred ... 3 May 2008 3:10PM GMT 
jsherif728 16 Jun 2013 11:37PM GMT 
lorettalorett... 17 Jun 2013 3:12AM GMT 
jsherif728 17 Jun 2013 12:27PM GMT 
jclacoss 3 May 2008 11:47PM GMT 
country7 13 May 2008 11:16PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions