Pitman's of NC, Ga, and Ark.

Replies: 0

Pitman's of NC, Ga, and Ark.

Posted: 3 Apr 2001 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 6:48AM GMT
Surnames: Pitman, Pittman
Hello,
I have traced my lineage to an ELBERT PITMAN who lived and raised his family in Sumter County Georgia. He married a Nancy Council in 1811 in Laurens County Georgia and lived from 1812-1843 in Sumter County. His sons were: John Wallace Pittman, William Buford Pittman, Joel Sheppard Pittman, and possibly Scion Pittman and Jesse Pittman. His Daughters were Nancy, Sarah, and ?. His wife Nancy died in 1840 and he then married the widow Mary Kennedy (Cannady) in Sumter County but they did not have any children that I can find. Elbert died in 1843 in Sumter County. Several of his sons, John Wallace and Joel Sheppard, moved to Ouachita and Columbia County Arkansas shortly before the Civil War in 1863. Later in that decade many of them moved to east Texas.

William Buford Pittman's family stayed in Southwest Georgia in and around Colquitt County and Worth County and eventually settled and died in Sumner Ga (Worth County.)

Elbert would have been born around 1785 but I can not locate his parents or where he was born. I suspect either he or his parents were born in Robeson or Edgecombe County NC based upon several clues.

If anyone comes across ELBERT PITMAN I would greatly appreciate the help.
Charles Pittman
Charlotte, NC

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions