Search for content in message boards

John Freeman, Samuel Freeman, Aaron Freeman, Isaac Freeman & James Freeman

Replies: 12

Re: John Freeman, Samuel Freeman, Aaron Freeman, Isaac Freeman & James Freeman

Posted: 20 Jan 2014 2:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 20 Jan 2014 2:32PM GMT
Surnames: Freeman
Well, I started this discussion about the Freeman's of Rowan Co., NC a couple years ago, and I'm still looking for answers. I ended up doing the FTDNA family finder test a few months back, and it's left me with more questions about Aaron Freeman (married to Mary Bentley) and another Freeman line in Bedford Co., Virginia. Before I go further, I will say that I have very firmly been able to link through DNA back to a descendent of Aaron and Mary's son Jesse Freeman, as well as to a descendent of Mary Bentley's brother. I've also linked to two sisters, daughters of John Jackson Rees and Tabitha Freeman -- Tabitha was Rev. Moses Freeman's daughter.

With that said, I have an interesting situation here. Some years ago, my cousin Dwayne Freeman, did the Y-DNA test and found our line started with a Native American male, and that started me looking for the true ancestors of Aaron Freeman b. abt. 1745 of Rowan Co. Virginia. At that time, the DNA profile matched up with descendants of James Freeman (b. bef. 1750) of Bedford Co.Virginia. I wasn't, and still haven't, found how this connection works as of yet. Recently I started talking with one of my family finder matches who had Freeman's in Missouri. She didn't have much information, but between us we were able to start tracing backward to find how our two families connect. We found a marriage between someone in her line and someone in my line, but neither of them were our direct line, instead being children of our direct line siblings. Hope that makes sense. So I've kept going back, and found that her Roane Co., Tennessee Freeman's are listed as descendants of James Freeman of Bedford Co. Virginia.

So, I'm renewing my search for a connection between James Freeman of Bedford Co. Virginia and Aaron Freeman of Rowan Co. North Carolina. I know that the settlement in Rowan Co. on the Forks of the Yadkin is about 200 miles directly south of Bedford Virginia. I know both men have descendants that tested positive for Q1a3a Native American Y-dna haplo-group and their dna profiles match. I now I have a family finder dna connection to a descendent of James of Bedford Co. There has to be an answer somewhere for how these two men are connected.

I also keep wondering what the process would have been for a Native American man to assimilate into white society during that time period. Did their ancestor adopt into a white family? Was he converted by one of the religious groups in the area and assimilate that way? Did he just adopt an Anglo name and "pass" as white?

Anyway, I would love to hear if any of you have new information? Also, have any of you taken the FTDNA family finder test? If so, have you found any surprising Freeman connections?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
bernicedeniso... 21 Apr 2013 3:20AM GMT 
blueraine2 20 Jan 2014 9:26PM GMT 
tmbaf 21 Apr 2013 2:55AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions