Search for content in message boards

Thomas Fox in ROWAN Co, NC

Replies: 1

Re: Thomas Fox in ROWAN Co, NC

Posted: 11 May 2014 12:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fox, Holliday, Jones
I am replying to an old posting about Thomas Fox.

I suspect that my Fox ancestors went from Rowan to Randolph County, then to Indiana. I also suspect that a man named Thomas Fox was father to my ancestor Elias Fox.

A man a named Thomas Fox was counted in the 1800 census of Randolph County, North Carolina; he lived in a household of one boy under age 10, a preteen male between 10 and 16?, a man 45 or older who must be Thomas, 2 girls under 10, one female in the next preteen category, and a woman 45 or older, no slaves.

Some good sources report that Thomas Fox died in Randolph County, North Carolina. At the Rootsweb site "Jack/Jacks/Jacques & J. V. Thomson Journals" by Chealyn Wilson and no longer available, Thomas' place of death in Randolph was reported, as well as the names of Thomas and Rebecca as parents of Elias, who was "born in 1799." Thomson's journals are an excellent source, but all I have is a secondhand reading of the part that relates to Elias' parentage.

The Fox last name is not in the 1790 census of Randolph County, but it is in the 1800 census for Randolph: Michael, William, Leonard? (p.310) and Thomas Fox (p. 316).

The indexes to the census reports of 1820, 1830 and 1840 in Rowan County do not contain the Fox last name; I think that those Foxes from Rowan County had gone on to Indiana.

Notwithstanding the internal date of 1700 something, the date of the following will is probably March 23, 1807. The scribe was careless and also mentioned two sons after which he listed three. The bequeathed animals were described by age, so the will was probably written in 1807, and Thomas probably expected to die soon. This was not a will to lie in a lawyer’s desk for ten years. Thomas’ wife Rebecca outlived him; she might not have been Thomas’ only wife, but she was no doubt his last. Marvin Rogers directed my attention to this will. The legal wording in this will was easy to read, but key words and names were much harder to read. I think that the scribe was not a professional and was marginally literate. Punctuation was added and omitted to help the modern reader.

Elias Fox named one of his sons Thomas, perhaps after his father; Elias also named a son John and another William, perhaps after brothers mentioned in this will. There is no mention of Doctor Fox, whom many consider to be a brother to Elias, and Doctor was born after 1807, the Thomas of this will was certainly not Doctor's father.

In all probability, this is the will of the father of Elias Fox who became a pioneer in Appanoose.

The Will of Thomas Fox (1750? To 1807) of North Carolina

November Term 1807

In the name of God, amen, I, Thomas Fox of Randolph County and State of North Carolina, being of sound mind and perfect mind and memory, blessed be God, do this twenty-third day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand seven [eight] hundred and [number illegible], [probably 1807] do make and publish this my last will and testament, in manner following, that is to say.

First, I give and bequeath to my beloved wife Rebecca Fox two cows, this choice out of my stock, also all my household goods and furniture, one brown mare, two sheep, also eight head of year old hogs.

Secondly, I give to my son Samuel one black colt, three years old.

Thirdly, I give and bequeath to my son Elias one bright bay [reddish-brown] colt, one year old.

The residue of my estate that I may be possessed of at my death shall be sold and all my debts paid. If any remains, it is my desire that my two [He names three.] sons Joseph, John and William Fox shall have forty dollars each, the residue then, if any, remains to be equally divided all between all my children, and I hereby make and ordain my worthy friends Joseph Hale and Elijah Fox executors of this my last will and testament in witness whereof I the aforesaid [?] Thomas Fox have to this my last will and testament set my hand and seal this day and year above written. Thomas [blot with Mark written above the blot] Fox
Signed, sealed and delivered by the said Thomas Fox to the testators as his last will and testament who were present at the time of the signing and sealing thereof
Joseph Hale
James Jones Jurat [?]

State of North Carolina
Randolph County and November Term 1807
The execution of the foregoing last will and testament of Thomas Fox was duly proven in open court by Thomas Jones and admitted to record.
The court ordered that letters of administration be issued to Johua Holliday [?] with the will annexed who entered into bond with Benj Snow [?] his security in the sum of **** 5.
Vide [Latin, means see] minutes in this Term.

Corrections cheerfully accepted. More information needed. 11mitchell@mchsi.com

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Linda Osborn 8 Jun 1999 12:00PM GMT 
10Mitchell 11 May 2014 6:27PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic