Search for content in message boards

Jane/Jean/Jennie Cowan Locke

Replies: 8

Re: Jane/Jean/Jennie Cowan Locke

Posted: 27 Jul 2013 7:08PM GMT
Classification: Query
I don't see any real evidence that Jane was a Graham, other than close association with the neighboring Graham family. In my Cowan research, I have found countless instances in Rowan County where a surname was used as a middle name, even though there was no family connection. One example--the 1803 marriage of Joseph Skiles Cowan to Jane Cowan Graham, who was not a Cowan descendant. So, the Barkley granddaughter with the Graham middle name may mean nothing at all, other than respect for the neighboring family. That said, we have no real proof she was a Cowan, either, other than family tradition. But at least there is that, and it should not totally discounted. If Jane was a Cowan, she was (by process of elimination) probably the daughter of George Cowan. I no longer believe her mother was Catharine Skiles, however. I believe she was the first wife of John Cowan, gunsmith, and mother of Capt. Thomas Cowan. The fact two of Jane Lock's children--James Lock and Jane Lock--married back into the Cowan family (Catherine Cowan and Benjamin Cowan) would have been normative for the Cowans. They really seemed to prefer to marry back into the family (though in this case, the relationship would not have been close--3rd cousins.) I am always interested in corresponding with anyone about this particular Lock family for the 2 known Cowan connections, and the 1 probable overall connection. Best, Terry Cowan
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
DPressnall616... 6 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT 
jalmillerjr 13 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT 
scarlett590 4 May 2011 9:18PM GMT 
EOakes2921 5 May 2011 1:57AM GMT 
scarlett590 5 May 2011 3:56AM GMT 
EOakes2921 5 May 2011 10:44PM GMT 
scarlett590 7 May 2011 11:11PM GMT 
tjohncowan 28 Jul 2013 1:08AM GMT 
scarlett590 3 Aug 2013 8:39PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic