I am too researching the Benson family in Rowan County, NC. I have found the following info:
1. James Benson married a Margarett Kerr in 1877 2. Margaret is in Andrew Kerr's will
3. I have a Thomas Benson Revolutionary War Pension application that shows
him being in the same militia unit as a Lt. James Benson
4. Thomas says he was b. 1755 in Bucks County, PA
5. Thomas says he moved to Rowan County (Anson?) in 1761
6. I have a Margarett Benson (widow) in 1830 Columbia County, GA of the right age to be James' wife
7. I have my GGGrandfather Marcus D. Benson in Rowan County in 1825, 1828, and 1834 and then marrying in Columbia Co. GA in 1837
I am trying to identify the parents of Marcus in NC.
If you look at the Elam Levin Benson Revolutionary War Pension application (from Lincoln County, TN) it is apparent he moved to Rowan County, NC after the war as a married man or a widower from Kent County, Delaware; he remarried a Rebecca Brummel. That would put him there in the 1780's so I do not think he was James father or brother.
It appears my group of Benson lived on the Cabarrus/Rowan County lines. I THINK that my Bensons lived near Irish Buffalo Creek and were a group of brothers and sisters (Thomas, Henry, Robert, Jr., James?, William?, Isbell (married William Bailey and moved to TN), and possibly Rebecca). Still unable to prove all of this at this time.
Does any of this help?