Search for content in message boards

Genealogy @ the Reed Gold Mine

Replies: 0

Genealogy @ the Reed Gold Mine

Posted: 21 Aug 2012 3:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: reed
Does anyone out there have a connection to the John Reed of the Reed Gold Mine SHS in Cabarrus County?

We at the Reed Gold Mine are currently preparing for the 2012 Fall Harvest Festival on October 13th, from 10 am to 4 pm, and are looking for some help in making this another great event for our visitors. This event is an opportunity to teach people about the history of the greater Charlotte region when John Reed would have been alive, a period roughly between 1780 – 1850.

Before starting the first gold mine in America, John worked on his farm like most of his neighbors in this region. Even after his golden discovery, John continued to farm on a portion of his land until his death in 1845. We would like to focus on this part of the sites history for this event. If possible, we encourage you to come out for this event and dress for the time period. If you would like information on costume interpretation for this time period, please feel free to contact the site.

I would also like to extend this offer to any local genealogy groups to come out for the event and bring any of their resource materials. Like last year, visitors will be invited to come and see if they’re related to John Reed or any other famous Carolinians. Invitations are also being extended to local chapters of the DAR, Colonial Dames, and other similar groups to come out. Visitors are encouraged to bring out their own family trees and see how they all fit together, as well as try to help us fill out our Reed family tree.

If you know of anyone else who you think might be interested in coming out or you think would fit well with this theme, please let them know to contact me so that we can work on figuring out where they would fit into the event best and setting them up with a spot.

Thank you in advance for your support,

Michael Scott
Historic Site Interpreter II
Reed Gold Mine State Historic Site

#704-721-4653

Find a board about a specific topic