Search for content in message boards

Trying to locate ARNEY plantation circa 1780 to 1834

Replies: 0

Trying to locate ARNEY plantation circa 1780 to 1834

Posted: 19 Jun 2011 8:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi,

My ARNEY ancestors, settled in the area of what was Tryon County, North Carolina, which after the dissolving of Tryon, became part of Lincoln County, North Carolina. Their ARNEY plantation was "probably" just outside Lincolnton, in Lincoln County, North Carolina.

In reading a book, on google books, I found this notation, about Lincolnton:

"Lincoln thus remained a large county until 1841, when the first slice was taken to form, with a portion of Rutherford County, the county of Cleveland.

In 1842, Catawba was set up from Lincoln by an east and west line passing one and a half miles north of Lincolnton.

In 1846, the southern part was set off into the county of Gaston, by a line to pass four and a half miles south of Lincolnton, and four miles of Catawba ceded back to Lincoln.

The formation of these new counties reduced Lincoln to a narrow strip, ten miles in width with an average length of thirty miles.

Lincoln County is bounded on the north by Catawba County; on the east by the Catawba River, which separates it from Iredell and Mecklenburg; on the south by Gaston; on the west by Cleveland; and one-fourth mile of Burke."

I'm trying to locate, where the "Arney plantation" was actually located, and I can see here, that it could lay, in one of several counties.

My ancestor, Jacob Arney, died in 1784, and his son, Christian Arney, Sr. would have "probably" inherited the Arney plantation. Christian Arney, Sr. died in the Spring of 1834, according to his son-in-law, Matthew Wilson.

Christian Arney, Sr. owned property, in Lincolnton, itself, that's why I'm making the "guess", that the Arney plantation, was near the town of Lincolnton, but where?

Depending on what direction, it would now be in a different county of North Carolina.

Does anyone know, if it's possible to find out where that plantation was located?
After all, both Jacob and Christian, were probably buried on the Arney plantation.

Thank you, for your time, consideration, and cooperation, I truly appreciate it.

Find a board about a specific topic