Search for content in message boards

Turner Problem in Wake County

Replies: 6

Re: Turner Problem in Wake County

Sonja Ann (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2004 7:01AM GMT
Classification: Query
Thank you for sharing your information. I knew that my second great-grandmother's name was Elizabeth but we never knew her maiden name.
John Turner and his wife Spicey moved to Reader, Arkansas, from what I have heard my grandmother Jimmie Lou Merkley Stone and my father tell about family history, about the same time my great-grandfather J. M. "Jimi" Stone moved his family into Arkansas. I think they must have been moving in a family group.
There are a lot of Stones and Turners around Reader and Bluff City, Arkansas, and I think most, if not all of them, are related in some manner or another.
Family oral tradition has always said that John was the brother of Mattiah. His wife having such an unusual name, Spicey (pronounced Spahzy somewhat like that movie star's name Spacey, who played Loretta Lynn in Coal Miner's daughter) make John pretty easy to trace in the records.
Oral family tradition names these children of Mattiah and Elizabeth.
1. Jack Turner (this is probably James of the 1850 cenus)
2. John "Bud" Turner
3. David Turner
(John and David were twins)
4. Robert "Bob" Turner
5. Mary Mattie Elizabeth Turner also known as "Liz" "Lizzie" and "Sis", born 31 October 1852 in Greene County, Tennessee, died 1930 in Bluff City, Arkansas, buried Bluff City Cemetery, married #1 J. M. "Jimi" Stone, born 13 Feb. 1842 in either South Carolina or Alabama, died 17 January 1887 in Bluff City, Arkansas 12 days after he brought his family to Arkansas, buried Bluff City Cemetery, married #2 Charles H. Tyler of New York, New York in Bluff City, Arkansas Charles, a veteran of the War Between The States (Union), is also buried in Bluff City Cemetery as is Nannie Stone Tyler, their only child (my grandmother's half sister), who died as an infant. My grandmother Jimmie Stone was an infant in arms when my great-grandmother and step-great-grandfather wed. She was held in the arms of her elder sister Eliza Stone during the ceremony. (She was born 6 months after J.M. Stone's death). Children of J.M. Stone and M. E. Turner are a. David Stone b. John Stone c. Eliza Stone, and d. Jimmie Lou Merkley Stone
6. Ellen Turner (Tolbert)
7. Sally Turner (Hawkins)
The census gives the name of one son, Mattiah, age 4 at the time of the census. The name of this child of Mattiah and Elizabeth has never been mentioned in family lore, so I must surmise that he died young. My great-grandmother was named for her father Mattiah (thus Mattie, a family name which has been perpetuated on the female side of the family). I suppose Mattiah must have gone by the name Matt, thus Mattie.
When I was a teen-ager, I was introduced to one of my daddy's cousins, a gentleman named Nat Turner who worked as a fireman on the Reader Railroad, the only working steam railroad in America at that time (about 1960-1961). We waited in Reader for the train to come in and met him as he left the engine. I don't know if he is a grandson of John and Spicey or not. I wish I had written down all that I was told about the Turners, but I didn't. My daddy's sole surviving sibling is much younger than the other children of the family and remembers only vaguely what was told about kinships.
I have no documentation to show that John was Mattiah's brother, but it is oral family tradition.
Hope this helps you out in your research. I thank you very much for the information you have given me because up until now other family members and myself doing research on the Stones and Turners had come up against a brick wall when it came to finding out anything beyond Mattiah and Elizabeth. I have a Civil War story told in the family about Elizabeth. She was practically held hostage in the family home by a group of Union soldiers and forced to cook and do their laundry for them. Family lore says she always hated soldiers of both sides after that. She said the Southern soldiers stole all her chickens and the Union soldiers used her beds and slept in them without taking off their spurs and tore up her best quilts, so she didn't think kindly of any of them. Supposedly, this situation went on for some weeks until she was rescued by another Union soldier who made the military squatters leave her home. Some of us have wondered if this soldier was Charles H. Tyler, whom her daughter M. E. Tyler, my great-grandmother, later married after her first husband died, but we will probably never know. The above story makes me wonder, too, where was Mattiah when all this was going on? Did he die before the war broke out, or did he volunteer as a soldier for the Confederates or Union and find himself either away from home or killed in action?
There is probably a lot more information on the Turners at the state library in Little Rock, if you have a chance to visit there. The list of children of Mattiah and Elizabeth is also in the Turner family Bible, which is in the possession of one of my family members. Unfortunately, it is not in good condition. Sometime back in the late 30s or early 40s, it was not taken good care of, and apparently a small child got hold of it and shredded many of the pages. I am sorry that I do not have the birthdates of the other children at hand, but hope that this helps fill in some of the blanks on your family tree.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LarryCates70 18 Sep 2002 8:26AM GMT 
Sonja Ann 26 Mar 2004 2:53PM GMT 
LarryCates70 27 Mar 2004 3:11AM GMT 
Sonja Ann 27 Mar 2004 2:01PM GMT 
LarryCates70 28 Mar 2004 2:10AM GMT 
Bettie 1 Apr 2005 2:49AM GMT 
JHAWK 7 Jun 2013 7:11PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions