Search for content in message boards

Turner Problem in Wake County

Replies: 6

Re: Turner Problem in Wake County

Posted: 26 Mar 2004 8:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 May 2006 12:26AM GMT
I do recognize the Maltiah Turner (b. c. 1811) you are talking about. I do happen to think that he is the son of the older Maltiah. It is such a rare name, what are the chances he isn't? I can't say for certain, however, because no will or estate or deed exists which proves the Senior Maltiah's heirs. He owned almost nothing and moved to a county (in which he finally may have owned a little land) before he died, whose records have since been burned (that is Stanly County, which was part of Montgomery County before 1849.)

The younger Maltiah shows up first in Cabarrus County, NC, a neighboring county to Montgomery--now Stanly County. He married 15 Nov 1831 to Betsey Watson in Cabarrus. This was just a few months after the older Maltiah died. He next shows up in Johnson County, TN, where he married (7 May 1843) as "Maltiah Turner" to Hannah Jane Dunbar. His final marriage (as "Maltire Turner") was to Elizabeth Dunbar in Washington Co., TN. In 1850 he was living with her in Green County, TN, p. 319 and they had several children: John, David, James, Maltiah, and Robert. Elizabeth Turner was living with James Dunbar in Greene County by 1860. The children are missing.

I wrote an article on the senior Maltiah and published it in the Winter, 2002 edition of the Randolph County (NC) Genealogical JOURNAL--a local publication I've edited for the past eight years. I tried to determine who his children were using geographical proximity to the places he lived because the name "Turner," believe it or not, was very rare in both Randolph and Chatham Counties at that time. He was practically the only older Turner around. But I never knew about John Turner.

I am VERY interested to know more about John. My first question is, how did you know that John was the brother of Maltiah? Not that I doubt you, but given the common nature of the name Turner, you'd think such a thing would be hard to prove. Was the tradition preserved in your family, or was there a record that suggested this to you in Tennessee?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LarryCates70 18 Sep 2002 8:26AM GMT 
Sonja Ann 26 Mar 2004 2:53PM GMT 
LarryCates70 27 Mar 2004 3:11AM GMT 
Sonja Ann 27 Mar 2004 2:01PM GMT 
LarryCates70 28 Mar 2004 2:10AM GMT 
Bettie 1 Apr 2005 2:49AM GMT 
JHAWK 7 Jun 2013 7:11PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic