Search for content in message boards

Edwards/ Sheppard slaves

Replies: 3

Edwards/ Sheppard slaves

Posted: 2 Feb 2013 12:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Edwards Sheppard
Looking for some help. I am helping my husband's family search for the ancestors. The furthest I can go back in to John Edwards and his wife Mary(both African American). They had 6 children: Lilly, Rachel, Georgia, Mary, John and Joseph. Lilly, Rachel and Georgia as well as the parents John and Mary(Mollie) Edwards were all born in North Carolina and the remaining children were born in Portsmouth, Va after they moved. I am following up on a hunch and looking for some help. The daughter Rachel married a man named "Dee" Sheppard who is listed from Washington NC. We dont know where our Edwards relatives were from in North Carolina but I have found some white families in Washington NC who did own slaves. I looked for Edwards and Sheppard familes that owned slaves in the area and found there is documentation of a Theophilus Edwards who married an Elizabeth Sheppard as well as Mary Edwards who married a James Glasgow Sheppard.Also have Elizabeth A.C. Sheppard and Dempsey Edwards as well as a few others. So these families were definitely intertwined. There is always the possibility that some of the slaves were moved around to different plantations between the families as part of dowries etc which could explain our Rachel Edwards and Dee Sheppard finally meeting. Im wondering if anyone knows if there are any slaves records for these 2 families.If there are possibly any old family bibles that were donated to collections that can be searched to see if there is possibly a name of any slaves.

Since it doesnt look like they relocated until about 1900 they may have stayed on to help work the land so any records of people working for them would help. Its taken me 4 years to get to this point and I am looking for someone to steer me in the right direction so any help would be appreciated!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
tonkietoots1 2 Feb 2013 7:20AM GMT 
BarbaraWCampb... 14 Jul 2013 3:54PM GMT 
becdecoy4558 23 Jul 2014 9:10PM GMT 
ZShackleford 28 Jul 2013 6:01PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions