Search for content in message boards

Rhoda Pierce/Peirce/Pearce - Born about 1820, probably Eastern NC

Replies: 12

Re: Rhoda Pierce/Peirce/Pearce - Born about 1820, probably Eastern NC

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 11:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
As an adult, David is typically listed as Mulatto. I have no idea what brought him to Beaufort County as an adult. My great-aunt who spent a lot of time with him growing up said that her grandfather did not come from Beaufort County and really never wanted to discuss his life prior to arriving there. All she could get out of him was that his mother was White and she had to give him away because his father was an Indian.

I cannot find any bastardy bonds naming Rhoda Pierce online, and if all the legal transactions occurred in Washington County, my concern is that the court records were likely burned.

There was a Mulatto Rhoda Pierce in Beaufort County in the 1850 census. I found a record of cohabitation for her with a freed slave named Jacob Grist. This is the only Rhoda Pierce I have been able to locate thus far. As far as I know, GGpa had no siblings. If the Beaufort County Rhoda Pierce is my 3GGma, why/how did her son get bonded in another county, and why can't I find any Beaufort County bastardy or apprentice bonds naming her or Charles Moore?

What I find interesting about your information about James Henry Sparrow besides the surname Moore is the surname Keyes. This is also a surname of interest in my family in Beaufort County; this is a lineage of free people of color going back to 1765. My guess is that they were Native American.

I really appreciate your informative response and assistance. Please let me know if you can think of any other angles I might take. In the interim, I will try to find our more information about the men who may be David's brothers. I did not find anything on the two bonded girls (Sallie and Sarah) who were also listed as Pearce in the 1860 census.

Sincerely,

Kim

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
KimDorineFati... 9 Jul 2013 7:05PM GMT 
CJROBERTS 10 Jul 2013 5:01AM GMT 
KimDorineFati... 10 Jul 2013 5:55AM GMT 
KimDorineFati... 10 Jul 2013 2:34PM GMT 
CJROBERTS 10 Jul 2013 6:11PM GMT 
KimDorineFati... 10 Jul 2013 8:01PM GMT 
CJROBERTS 11 Jul 2013 6:50PM GMT 
KimDorineFati... 11 Jul 2013 9:28PM GMT 
francis1611 11 Jul 2013 10:26PM GMT 
CJROBERTS 12 Jul 2013 12:14AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions