Search for content in message boards

Eldridge connection in Yadkin Co. NC

Replies: 9

Eldridge connection in Yadkin Co. NC

Posted: 30 Oct 2000 5:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jan 2010 5:10PM GMT
Surnames: Brown, Eldridge, Farrington, Angell, Hoots, West, Nicks
My gggrandparents were William Green Brown and his wife Priscilla Eldridge. William was a Baptist preacher for many years in western North Carolina and made his home in Surry/Yadkin County. William was the son of an unwed mother Elizabeth Farrington who married Squire Brown and thus gave William his name. Priscilla was a wonderful lady and reared ten children by William. As he traveled all over several counties to preach....a well liked and very busy preacher...she was at home caring for the family.

They must have been good parents for their children were all good citizens for the community. There were three ministers and a State Represenative,one was even a State Senator, Solomon Davis Brown. He was my great grandfather.

Solomon married Laura Ann Harvell Dec. 3. 1864. He was also a minister and he and Laura and some of their ten children went to Missouri where he attended William Jewel College . Soon after Solomon and Laura returned to Yadkin County in a covered wagon, my grandmother was born, Laura Ann Brown, b. 11-26-1881.

Laura Ann Brown married Monrovie Jones Angell at the Statesville Hotel Dec. 23, 1903. They were a most wonderful set of grandparents who were good Baptists and reared a wonderful family of six. Their daughter was Ivah Mae Angell who married James Milburn Hoots, Sr. Dec. 24, 1927. They were my parents.

Milburn Hoots was the son of John Franklin and Mary Sophronia Nicks Hoots who were also Yadkin County farmers for many years. My Grandmother Hoots lived to be 102 years old and she and Grandpa who lived to be 90 are buried in Flat Rock Baptist Church in Hamptonville, NC Grandma was the daughter of John Madison Nicks and Amanda Rachel West.

I have been researching my family for many years and I would be happy to share my information with others who are interested. There is nothing quite like family. I hope many more will tell their stories and let us all share in the history of our families.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
AWinslow4151 30 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Mike West 6 Nov 2000 12:00PM GMT 
Sue Stowe Honeycutt 30 Dec 2002 7:43PM GMT 
AnnWinslow12 31 Dec 2002 12:35PM GMT 
@@rlcollins@y... 1 Jan 2003 1:53PM GMT 
AnnWinslow12 1 Jan 2003 11:06PM GMT 
Theresa Hutchins 23 Dec 2004 2:02AM GMT 
yourcuzn 23 Dec 2004 2:37AM GMT 
semcm 14 Apr 2006 7:39PM GMT 
beachridgesta... 16 Mar 2013 12:48AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions