Search for content in message boards

Andrew Jackson TIPTON = b. 1837

Replies: 4

Andrew Jackson TIPTON = b. 1837

Posted: 20 Jul 2006 8:38AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tipton, Hensley, Carter, Webb
Andrew Jackson Tipton was my gggrandfather on my mother's father's side. He is said to have been born in Buncombe or Yancey County on Oct. 26, 1837 and is the daughter of Martha "Patsy" Tipton born about 1817 to Jonathan Tipton who was born about 1776. I have been told that Andrew Jackson's father was an unknown Cherokee. Martha later married Samuel Hensley, born Feb. 6, 1804. After having several children in NC, they moved to Harlan Co. KY. Here are my questions:

Who was Martha Tipton's mother? I have seen records stating that her mother was Patsey Carter, Betsy Carter, and Sarah Webb. Does anyone have any documentation to validate either claim?

Has anything been clearly determined about Andrew Jackson's father? In addition to what I've mentioned above, I have read that Andrew Jackson was a full blooded Cherokee who was taken in by Jonathan Tipton and moved with Martha to KY. I would have thought he would have been mentioned in Jonathan's will if this were the case.

Any help will be appreciated!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
called2serve 20 Jul 2006 2:38PM GMT 
Betsy_Neese 11 Dec 2008 9:20PM GMT 
called2serve 20 Dec 2008 3:08AM GMT 
Betsy_Neese 20 Dec 2008 5:11AM GMT 
SharonM21 11 Sep 2012 6:45PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions