Search for content in message boards

HOWELL ALLEN BORN NC 1796-1800

Replies: 0

HOWELL ALLEN BORN NC 1796-1800

Posted: 13 Apr 2008 12:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ALLEN, HAYES, WHITT
I am searching for information about HOWELL ALLEN, possibly my 3g grandfather, reportedly born in North Carolina. He is a very elusive fellow. Any ideas or information?

The 1850 census lists Howell in Wayne County, Tennessee, age 50, born NC, a widower with two young females in his household, ADELINE 16 and ELISABETH 7, both born in Alabama. Howell resides two households from my 2g grandparents, WILLIAM R. and SARAH (Allen) HAYES. Sarah is age 21, also born in Alabama. Also, the agricultural census indicates that the Allen and Hayes properties are actually adjacent farms. The 1850 Mortality census for the same district lists ANNA ALLEN, age 45 who died of "fever". I think it possible that she was the deceased spouse of Howell Allen. The 1850 census is the only Tennesse record I have seen for either Howell, Adeline or Elisabeth Allen.

The 1860 Anderson County, South Carolina census had a HOWELL ALLEN, age 64 (or so it appears at first glance - further examination of the intire page leads me to belive that his age might actually be 60 based on the way the enumerator wrote his 0s and 4s), with wife Lucinda and either one or two daughters. This Howell Allen married LUCINDA WHITT in 1852 and they had three known children, MARTHA, NANCY and WILLIAM. I believe this might be the same Howell Allen I am searching for from 1850 Wayne County, TN. By the 1870 census Lucinda Allen is listed as head of household and in 1880 she is listed as a widow. I have found no other SC records for Howell.

Any help appreciated.
Marcia

Find a board about a specific topic