Search for content in message boards

Locate property

Replies: 0

Locate property

Posted: 21 Jun 2012 1:16AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Neff
I'm trying to exactly locate our ancestral land on a map of Champaign Co. Our 2gr-grandfather, Samuel Neff, immigrated to Champaign Co from Shenandoah Co, Virginia in 1837 and first purchased 94.74 acres at that time on a US Land Patent in Section 33, Township 6 South, Range 8 East -- but this may now be in Logan Co.

Samuel died in 1865 and I recently found a Urbana OH newspaper Legal Notice about distribution of his land to his 16 surviving children (yes, he was the father of 18 children by 3 wives). Here is a transcription of the legal description in the attached Legal Notice:

South half of S.W. quarter of Section 13, Township 4, Range 11, except ___ three-tenths poles in the N.W. corner thereof and also 9 acres and 19 two-tenths poles in the S.E. corner of the S.E. quarter of Section 19, Township 4, Range 11, a tract of 278 three-tenths poles and 11 acres 2 rods and 10 poles out of the West half othe North half of S.W. quarter Sec. 13, Township 4, Range 11, and also a tract of 30 acres out of the S.W. corner of the S.E. quarter of Section 18, Township 4, Range 11, except 11 acres off the East side thereof sold to Calvin Cook, and also the East half of the S.E. fractional quarter of Section 33, Township 4, South of Range 8, East, in Logan County.

I think the above US Land Patent and the estate legal description may be for multiple properties, not necessarily adjoining. Am hoping someone can locate these lands on a map for us because we'd like to visit later this summer. Thank you, Good People of Champaign County, for your time and effort.
Attachments:

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions