Search for content in message boards

Raffensperger and Heston Family and Ancestry

Replies: 2

Raffensperger and Heston Family and Ancestry

Posted: 1 Jan 2013 3:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Raffensperger, Bowman, Heston, Gutridge, Guthridge
Seeking information on the family of Daniel (1796-1877) and Mary (Bowman) Raffensperger. They moved to Springfield in 1836 and raised several children, among them Rev. Edwin Bowman Raffensperger (20 Jan 1824-1 May 1885, a graduate of Princeton University and prominent churchman; Alfred Raffensperger (8 Dec 1828-2 Oct 1915) Henry J. Raffensberger, born 29 Jun 1832.

The 1840 census shows the families of Daniel Raffensperger and Thomas Heston within 8 heads of household, living in Pike Twp., Clark Co., Ohio; I believe Thomas Heston was the father of one Mary Heston who married Darius K. Guthridge in Xenia, Ohio on June 18, 1846.

According to the testimony of an 85 year old step-daughter of Mary Heston Guthridge, written down in 1925, Darius met Mary Heston in Springfield (Daniel Raffensperger was supposedly elected sheriff of Clark County in 1846, the year Darius and Mary were married).

I have found a Thomas Heston living in Adams County, Pennsylvania at the same time Daniel Raffensperger lived there, before both moved to Ohio. It's possible that Thomas Heston's wife was a sister of Daniel Daffensperger's wife (Mary Bowman) -- I found reference to a law case in Adams County, Pennsylvania of Thomas Heston vs. Administrators of John Bowman, in 1842.)

In any event, the death record of Darius and Mary Guthridge's last surviving daughter, Kate Ann (Guthridge) Rice on April 29, 1940 in Tacoma, Washington states Kate was a daughter of Darius Guthridge and Mary Raffensperger. Maybe descendants of the family got the Heston - Raffensperger connection confused.

Family records show that Mary Heston Guthridge was born in Adams County, Pennsylvania on October 22, 1821 -- she was certainly a contemporary of the children of Daniel and Mary (Bowman) Raffensperger -- and easily a 1st cousin.

Anyone researching these people?

Thanks for your help.

Richard Cochran
Big Rapids, Michigan

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
RichardMCochr... 1 Jan 2013 10:07PM GMT 
cbarngraff 27 Jan 2013 2:00AM GMT 
cbarngraff 27 Jan 2013 4:30AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic