Search for content in message boards

Searching for cemetery of burials for Joseph, George and Rosanna Reams of North Lewisburg, Champaign County, Ohio

Replies: 6

Re: Searching for cemetery of burials for Joseph, George and Rosanna Reams of North Lewisburg, Champaign County, Ohio

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 8:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Reams, Grubbs
Hi Loretta 1948,

Thank you for your kind reply. I wish it were that simple. I started the Butcher (AKA Walnut Grove Cemetery) from scratch myself. I've been there many times and it is in quite poor condition. If you take a moment to see the virtual flower & note posted for this George Reams who died in 1934 (there was another George Reams who died in 1935 -- both have their own death certificates -- that George Reams who died in 1935 was buried at Maple Grove Cemetery just outside of North Lewisburg) anyway, I actually posted the note about George Reams who died in 1934 that his burial there is undocumented.

It is undocumented at this time that George Reams or his siblings were actually buried at Butcher Cemetery. I've written to Find A Grave twice now, to the Admins. of FAG, to please remove the "North Lewisburg" reference to the Butcher Cemetery because too many people are assuming that if they see the final destination of remains to be buried either in or at North Lewisburg that it has to be the Butcher Cemetery. The last recorded burial there is in 1898. I've written to the Freeman Funeral Home now run by the Vernon Family several times to please check their 1934 and 1938 records where they buried these Reams siblings; cemetery name, but they have not replied to me. I've been working with Rush Township Trustee, Cinda Bailey, who has checked her records for these Reams siblings at Maple Grove Cemetery, but no luck. She said her records are organized under the name of the plot owner. I learned, per Joseph Reams' death certificate, that a Mrs. Jesse Draper, was his informant of death. So, I had Cinda check under the Draper name as well since Several Draper people, including Jesse and his wife, were buried at Maple Grove Cemetery. Two years ago, someone erroneously, posted 47 burials at the Butcher Cemetery solely on the fact that they knew the burials were in North Lewisburg. As it turned out, almost all of those 47 names were already posted on FAG at Maple Grove Cemetery and had tombstone pictures on their FAG memorials. It took six months to sort that out and get them removed from the Butcher Cemetery. If George, Rosanna, and Joseph Reams were buried at the Butcher Cemetery, my only conclusion is that they were all buried without markers. None ever married. At the turn of the last century, there was a Walnut Grove Cemetery Association, but when those members all died off, they never deeded the cemetery to the village of North Lewisburg. It is most popularly known as Butcher because Dr. Butcher and his family were buried there and really started slated those grounds to be for burials. Because of the cemetery's very poor condition, so must history has been lost. I am trying to learn if anyone who is familiar with this Reams family, might have information where the burials too place. Larry Reams just arbitrarily posted this George Reams at the Butcher Cemetery, based on the destination of the remains, not by cemetery name. So, yes, I am quite familiar with the Butcher Cemetery since my g-g Aunt, Adaline D. Limes Winder and some of her family were buried there. But, I appreciate your trying to help. Ever since FamilySearch.org started making more and more of the death certificates available on line, people are see them but without actual cemetery names, they are making assumptions of the cemetery identity based on the name of the city listed for the final destination of the remains.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
LJE208 22 Mar 2013 6:37PM GMT 
loretta1948 23 Mar 2013 2:07PM GMT 
LJE208 23 Mar 2013 2:30PM GMT 
loretta1948 23 Mar 2013 2:48PM GMT 
LJE208 23 Mar 2013 3:01PM GMT 
ralphlcoleman... 25 Mar 2013 1:19AM GMT 
LJE208 25 Mar 2013 3:04AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions