Search for content in message boards

County Mayo Immigrants to Cleveland

Replies: 1

Re: County Mayo Immigrants to Cleveland

Posted: 22 Mar 2013 12:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Mar 2013 12:18PM GMT
I attended a lecture just the other night and the Cleveland/Mayo connection was brought up. Achill/Cleveland corridor had heavy migration 1862-1864 because Cleveland was a transportion hub (Ohio & Erie Canal & RRs). Our lecturer said the current "Flats" section of Cleveland (by the Cuyahoga River) was originally "The Angle" - an Irish area. Lots of the folks went to work as longshoremen. I didn't write the details, but she also said the 3 (?) big towns/areas that came into Cleveland carved out their own spaces - different churches and neightborhoods. There was a great deal of chain migration - 1st family member came, others followed, as did friends and neighbors. By the way, Cleveland & Achill have been "twins cities" since 2003 - still very active. There is also a Mayo Society here and an Irish-American Club (West side) that might be helpful.

I lived in the Ohio City area (near West side) of Cleveland for many years - also an Irish pocket. The church I attended (St Patrick's) was built by Irish workmen who hauled the limestone on horse-drawn wagons from Sandusky, OH (1hr+ by car). The Flats and Ohio City are quite close to each other. One of ther other Irish churches was St Colman and the 3rd may have been St Malachi.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
jlleffler 28 Nov 2012 11:17PM GMT 
Kittyo8607 22 Mar 2013 6:17PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions