Search for content in message boards

Please can someone Help with finding family

Replies: 40

Re: Please can someone Help with finding family

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 3:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hey...

So you say you DID NOT yet find WHS's death cert on FamilySearch? Today's your lucky day - I'll e-mail it to you. LOL!

IF I remember correctly, I found it by typing in: William H Smith for name, in the "Death" box I put - Ohio...and then in the parents boxes I put Felix for father and Phoebe for mother - no last names for them....that is, IF I remember correctly exactly how I finally found it.

Sometimes Matt, the worst thing you can do is put in too much info - sometimes it's best to put in all the info you do have - it just depends [on what you're looking for]. I have literally found records on individuals by NOT putting in their name at all! I have found people by putting in their father's 1st and last name, mother's 1st name only, and county and/or state.

Sometimes putting in too much info blocks records from popping up - sometimes. Sometimes you have to use alternate spellings. I found that 1900 Census for Samantha Hall under 'Halt'. You have to allow for the fact that some of this stuff has been transcribed incorrectly.

For birth years...sometimes I leave it blank and just put the state, (sometimes I put the county & state), or I put in a wide margin - like born between 1850 - 1855 or 1875 - 1882.

When looking for older marriage records (1800's), it does no good to put in the parents names as they weren't listed on older marriage records.

I have found children of ancestors by leaving the name box BLANK, putting Ohio in the marriage box, Ohio in the death box, then putting in the father's 1st and/or last names and the mother's first and/or last name...and many times up pops marriage and death records for these kids of their's....if I know their kids were born in Ohio also, I sometimes put Ohio in the birth box and leave out years, and occasionally, up will pop 'Ohio Birth & Christening' records too.

You have to try several ways looking for them. And each time you make an attempt, add or delete info. Your computer is not possessed - LOL!!

WHS isn't on F-a-G...I know he's buried at Springbank because it says so on his death cert.

More later - I gotta go to work.

Kat
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
pomaus_nch 16 Oct 2012 4:40PM GMT 
pomaus_nch 16 Oct 2012 5:57PM GMT 
Leona L Gusta... 16 Oct 2012 6:05PM GMT 
Leona L Gusta... 16 Oct 2012 7:22PM GMT 
Kat747 17 Oct 2012 6:59PM GMT 
pomaus_nch 17 Oct 2012 8:28PM GMT 
pomaus_nch 17 Oct 2012 10:03PM GMT 
Kat747 18 Oct 2012 3:02PM GMT 
pomaus_nch 18 Oct 2012 4:36PM GMT 
Kat747 19 Oct 2012 9:59AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions