Search for content in message boards

Virginia to Ohio Migration - Franklin, Pickaway, & Fairfield 1800 -1811

Replies: 0

Virginia to Ohio Migration - Franklin, Pickaway, & Fairfield 1800 -1811

Posted: 27 Feb 2013 1:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Peacher, Mollohan, Mallahan, Blue, Clymer, Courtright, Decker, Deeds, Featheringll, Groom, Harness, Kuykendall, McLish, Needles, Owen, Owens, Schoonover, Westfall
I’ve been working on my research for over twenty years. I have found one particular family branch particularly interesting. My ggggrandfather is John Peacher. He appears to have come from Jefferson County Virginia to Franklin/Pickaway county sometime around 1810. He met his future wife, Lydia Mollohan there and they were married on the 15th of Arpil in 1811. Lydia was one of seven Mallahan siblings and their mother Sabina that migrated from Hampshire County Virginia to the area sometime between 1806 and 1808. Sabina’s husband was Raleigh Molohan and the last record for him is in 1806 in Hampshire County.

There appears to have been a sizable migration of people from the greater Hampshire County area, including western Maryland and south western Pennsylvania of related families to Ohio either together or within a very brief period. Those surnames include, Blue/Blew, Clymer(from Maryland), Courtright, Decker, Deeds, Featheringill, Groom, Harness, Kuykendall, McLish, Molohan/Mallahan, Needles, Owen/Owens, Schoonover, Westfall.

I’m in the process of writing a book on the Peacher/Mallahan and ancillary families. My intention is to write the book as a historical fiction so that book will have the widest appeal rather than just a genealogical tome. I would appreciate any assistance or guidance that could be provided related to the early migration and settlement of the Franklin/Pickaway/Fairfield areas in Ohio. I have already accessed all of the local county histories.

I’m seeking any reference materials that might document the actual experience of persons migrating during this period. I'd also love to hear from fellow researchers for the surnames listed in this post. Suggestions and guidance would be greatly appreciated. I will be travelling to the area later this year so I want to have my research planning complete before I arrive.

I can be contacted at 1kimemyers@gmail.com
Warm regards,
Kim Myers

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions