Search for content in message boards

Looking for Michael MYERS (1745-1852)

Replies: 11

Re: Looking for Michael MYERS (1745-1852)

Posted: 14 Apr 2010 10:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Myers, Larkins, Williamson, Emery
My name is Gertrude Lorraine (Watson) Magaw and I am a decendant of Michael Myers through my mother,
Gertrude(Emery)Watson who is the daughter of,
Artiemesia Virginia(Williamson)Emery who is the daughter of,
Naomi Strain (Myers) Williamson who is the daughter of,
William “Foster Bill” Myers who is the son of,
Michael Myers who is the son of,
George Myers who is the son of,
Micel Miyer who imigrated to America from Germany.

I have posted the information that I have so far. I hope this will help. By the way, I am interested in the Oliver part of Michael's name. It explains the "Auver" which is on his monument. I did know that he was known by "Auver" Mike because of a speech impedement but I did not know that "Auver" represented Oliver. Where did you get the information for the name Oliver?

I have inserted a photo of Michael's Monument in the Toronto Union Cemetery. Do you know if there are aany photos of Michael or his family?

My information begins with Micel Miyer.
Micel Miyer (Birth unknown to December 1787)
Migrated: from Germany to America in the first half of the 18th century
Death: December 1787 in Washington County, Pennsylvania
Wife: Mary (nothing more known)
Children: (Exact number unknown)
Sons: George is listed as the oldest son in Micel’s will although no other sons are named or listed.
Daughters: (Names unknown) three received Micel’s personal estate in Micel’s will.

Micel Miyer was a resident in Somerset County, Pennsylvania as early as 1780 where he purchased 390 acres of land, of which he gave 200 acres to his son George.

Micel’s will, written in 1784 in German, was signed with an X and probated December 12, 1787. Mary, his wife, was to receive the entire estate. After her death, the lands went to their oldest son, George. Micel’s three daughters were to receive Micel’s personal estate. The executors were Micel’s son, George Myers and George’s 39-year-old son, Michael Myers.

Micel was probably 20 years old or more when he fathered his son George. George was 25 when he fathered his son Michael. Michael was 39 years old when his grandfather died. Doing the math (20 + 25 + 39 = 84) therefore Micel was probably in his 80’s or more when he died.

George Myers was the son of Micel Miyer
(1720 to September 1803, approx. 83 years)
Birth: around 1720 in Somerset County, Pa.
Death: September 1803, approx. 83 years
Wife: Mary (nothing more known)
7 Children:
Michael
John
Christopher
Jacob
George, Jr.
Stophel
Cathy

On a Virginia certificate dated February 21, 1780, George Myers took up land adjoining that of his father Micel Miyer, Benjamin Parkinson and George Miller. That land was called “The Morass” (morass – meaning marshland). Also adjoining this land was 275 acres patented to George’s son, Michael Myers.

George Myers’ will dated September 6, 1803 bequeathed a total of 590 acres to four of his sons,
Michael 100acres
John 100 acres
Christopher 100 acres
Jacob 290 acres
Jacob’s mother was to receive 1/3 of the profit from the 290 acres.
The other two sons, George, Jr. and Stophel, received five shillings each (English currency).
A grandson, George Mushrush, inherited twenty pounds (English currency).
The only daughter, Cathy, got all other property.
George’s wife, Mary, received “one black mare, one cow, and $40.00 U.S. currency.
George died in September of 1803 shortly after he wrote his will.

“Auver” Michael Myers - Founder of Toronto, Ohio
Son of George and Mary Myers And grandson of Micel Miyer
(1745 to August 11, 1852, 107 years)
Birth: 1745 in Winchester, VA
Death: at age 107 on August 11, 1852 in Toronto Ohio
Buried: Toronto Union Cemetery
Wife: wed in 1787, Katherine Strickler (1763 to 1861, 98 years) the daughter of Philip Strickler
Buried: Toronto Union Cemetery beside her husband
Children: Seven
Mary “Mollie” (1788 to 1872) married name was Peck
George B. (1791 to _____)(George died in 1864) married Hanna Robb
John (1798 to _____) married Nancy Bickerstaff
Jacob (1797 to _____) married Sarah Colman
Michael Jr. (1801 to _____) married Ann Miller
Elizabeth (1796 to _____) married Michael Shuster
William ‘Foster Bill’ (1811 to1899 ) married (1) Sarah Ann Abrams, 2 children
(unwed) Margaret Larkins, 1 child
(2) Lucinda Montgomery, no children

About 1759, at age 14 Michael moved with George Myers, his father, to Washington County, PA to a site about 6 miles from Monongahela City. The treaty of Fort Stanwix was made at the same time as their arrival. Even so, the Myers family found themselves harassed by the Indians.
Note: Washington County, PA borders West Virginia, then known as Virginia.

Michael Myers was an incredibly healthy man. He was extremely muscular and stood over 6 feet tall. He had a reputation of being one of the strongest men on the Ohio border. He had only one physical defect , his speech. He spoke with a drawl that sounded like “Auver” hence the nickname “Auver Mike”

The Dunmore War and the Yellow Creek Massacre

In 1774, Michael found himself engaged in warfare, later called “The Dunmore War.” Michael Myers gave this account in 1850 when he was 105 years of age:

“In the month of May, 1774, I with two companions crossed the Ohio near Yellow Creek, to look at the land on the western shore. We went up the creek to Hollow Rock, and there spancelled (hobbled) our horses while we prepared to encamp. Hearing presently a tinkling of the bell on the horse, I ran to where I could observe him and saw an Indian loosing the spancels. I immediately shot the Indian and reloading ran up the hill until I perceived another Indian coming toward me and a large body of them near by. I shot the Indian approaching and I, and my friends then speedily retreated. On the following day, a canoe full of Indians was seen approaching from the Ohio side to the place where I was encamped, with a body of men under Greathouse, and they were ambushed and all save one killed by the latter force.”
Note: Daniel Greathouse took part in the “Yellow Creek Massacre” that started the Dunmore War in May of 1774. In fact, Michael’s account may have been just before the “Yellow Creek Massacre.” Michael acknowledged his presence at Yellow Creek in a document written by him from Newburgh in 1851. In his account, Myers stated that he was more an observer than a participant in the bloody rites. Written more than 76 years after the massacre and being more than 100 years of age, Michael can be excused if his version did not exactly match those of most historians.
Michael was given the rank of Captain during the Revolutionary War and assigned to scout the area from Mingo Bottom which is below the present site of Steubenville, Ohio to Yellow Creek.
Note: The Revolutionary War lasted from 1775 to 1783.

Note: Yellow Creek was about thirty miles above Wheeling (near present day Steubenville, Ohio) across the river from Baker’s Bottom and about 40 miles west, northwest of Fort Pitt (now Pittsburgh).

At the end of the hostilities in the Ohio area, Michael Myer and his friend Martin Swickard became regional heros. Their greatest fame was when Michael and his companion Martin Swickard went with Colonel Crawford on the fateful Crawford Expedition to Sandusky in 1782.

Crawford led about 500 volunteers deep into American Indian territory with the hope of surprising them. However, the Indians and their British allies at Detroit had learned about the expedition in advance, and brought about 440 men to the Sandusky to oppose the Americans. After a day of indecisive fighting, the Americans found themselves surrounded. During a confused retreat, Crawford and dozens of his men were captured. Michael Myers and his friend, Martin Swickard were among those who successfully retreated and lived to tell about it.

Note: Michael’s longtime friend and fighting Companion, Martin Swickard was born in 1746. His father moved from Washington County, PA along with the Myers family. Both families settled in Jefferson County Ohio. Michael and Martin were childhood friends who grew up to fight side by side. After the war, they went their separate ways. Martin helped set up the Mt. Tabor Methodist Church in 1814. He had nine children by two wives and died at the advanced age of 95 in 1841.

About 1787 Michael met and married Miss Katherine Strickler the daughter of Philip Strickler. Katherine was 20 years younger than Michael.

Shortly after the close of the Revolutionary War, Michael with some of his brothers got involved with the river trade. They made 11 trips carrying flour and whiskey to New Orleans. In the 1790’s, Michael and one of his brothers were taken with yellow fever on one of their return trips. Michael survived and his brother died.

About 1795 Michael received section 25, township 4, range 1 of the original 7 ranges of Ohio. In 1799, Michael built a log cabin at the mouth of Croxton’s Run where in 1801 he took his family to settle. Croxton’s Run is in present day Toronto, Ohio.

Michael spent his later years surrounded by his family and with his wife, Katherine, by his side. The old war veteran died August 11, 1852 at the age of 107. He was buried in the Sugar Grove Church Cemetery but was later moved to the Toronto Union Cemetery. His gravestone is the tallest in the cemetery. The inscription reads”
MICHAEL MYERS
DIED AUGUST 11, 1852, AGED 107 YEARS
Soldier, rest, thy warfare o’er
Dream of battlefields no more.
All thy conflicts now are past
To thy home thou’rt gone at last

Michaels wife Katherine died 9 years later at the age of 96 in 1861 and is buried at her husband’s side.

William ‘Foster Bill’ Myers
Son of Michael (Auver) Myers
Birth: October 4, 1811 in Toronto, Ohio
Death: at age 87 ½ years on April 19, 1899 in Toronto Ohio

Wife (1): in 1838, Sarah Ann Abrams (____ to 1841)
Children:
Mary Elizabeth, wife of James Stone
James W. Myers, born May 2, 1840, married Miss Jennie Robertson

Unwed: Margaret Larkins was the mother of his 3rd child
Children: Naomi Strain Myers born March 4, 1843

Wife (2): on May 9, 1845, Lucinda Cynthia Myers (1831 to December 1899, 68 years)
Children: None

William Myers engaged in farming at an early age. He also took up the River Trade like his father. He carried goods from Pittsburg, Pennsylvania to New Orleans. In 1838, William married Sarah Ann Abrams. They had 2 children. In 1841, Sarah died leaving William to care for the two children ages 3 and 1.

Between the years 1841 and 1843, William met Miss Margaret Larkins. In his grief over the death of his wife, he began seeing Miss Larkins. On March 4, 1843, Margaret gave birth to a baby girl. Margaret named her Naomi. William and Margaret never married for reasons unknown. Margaret disgraced, took her daughter from Jefferson County and moved to Washington County, Ohio.

William ignored the fact that he had another daughter and went on with his life. He later married the widow, Lucinda Montgomery (May 9, 1845.) They had no children and lived happily together until their deaths in 1899

After ignoring Naomi for so many years, at the age of 59, William Myers went to Washington County in search of his illegitimate daughter, Naomi, who was now 27 years old and married with four children. He promised to give her land and build her a house if she and her family would move to Toronto, Ohio. They moved that same year.

By 1883, William had discontinued all his business ventures and turned solely to farming. The year 1899 marked the deaths of William and Lucinda Cynthia Myers. Both are buried in the Toronto Union Cemetery on the same plot that Michael, his father was buried.

Margaret Larkins the unwed mother of Naomi Strain Myers
Birth: 1824 in Carlton, Ohio
Death: 1903
Buried: Unknown
Sibling: Margaret Larkins had a sister named Mary Elizabeth born 1827 in Washington County, Ohio.
Unwed: William “Foster Bill” Myers
Child: Naomi Strain Myers born March 4, 1843, married James Knox Polk Williamson

Naomi Strain Myers
The daughter of Michael “Foster Bill” Myers and Margaret Larkin
Birth: March 4, 1843
Death: at age 77 in 1920 in Toronto Ohio
James Knox Polk Williamson & Naomi Strain Myers married on December 9, 1858 in Washington County, Ohio

James “Jim” Knox Polk Williamson
The son of Moses and Sidney (Tice) Williamson
Birth: about 1833
Death: at age 82, July 5, 1915 in Toronto Ohio
Children of Jim and Naomi Williamson:
Mary Jane (b. Feb. 17, 1861 to 1929) married Moody Coburn (1857 to 1927)
Olive Florence (Feb 22, 1862 to 1946) married Jasper Newton Gritton (18__ to 1923)
Harvey Alonzo “Lon” (Oct 30, 1865 to 1933) married Clara Peckens (1867 to 1919)
Margaret Ann (Mar 8, 1867 to 1934) married John K. Paisley (1865 to 1905)
Artemisia Virginia (Jan 15,1870 to Aug 22,1947) married Charles George Emery (1872 to 1959)
William Benton (May 16, 1872 to 1938) married Nancy Gertrude Eijert (1881 to 1959)
James Madison (1876 to 1949) married Margaret Tierney (1878 to 1953)
Nettie Mae (Oct 1, 1879 to 1946) married William Tyler Craig (1877 to 1965)
Orthie Iona (May 2, 1881 to 1938) married Frank Dunn Morrow (_____ to 1936)
Andrew Newton (June 2, 1884 to 1966) married 1st Minnie Moore (1880 to 1943), 2nd Margaret (1903 to 198-)

When Margaret moved to Washington County, Ohio with her daughter, Naomi; she became acquainted with the Williamson Family. Young Jim Williamson was 11 years old at the time and was about to become an apprentice in the carpentry trade. When Jim and Naomi grew up, they became fond of each other and desired to marry. Naomi’s mother, Margaret, who was now Mrs. Joseph Blakely, signed for Naomi, age 15, to marry Jim Williamson, age 25. Jim and Naomi married Dec 9, 1858.

Note: Obviously, Margaret led people to believe that Naomi’s father was dead because she stated on Naomi’s marriage license that he was deceased when actually William ‘Foster Bill’ Myers, her father, was living in Jefferson County, Ohio.

Jim and Naomi were blessed with their first child, May Jane, Oct 23,1861. Mary was the apple of Jim’ eye and he wouldn’t give up his time spent with her for anything. But that all changed when Ohio began sending troops off to fight the confederates. On Oct 23, 1861, Jim enlisted in the 75th Ohio Voluntary Infantry and was assigned as a private to Company B. He endured many dreadful battles during his stay in the military and was slightly wounded in the Battle of Gettysburg in July 1863. After July 3, 1863 his life in the armed service was fairly quiet.

Jim was honorably discharged at the end of his three years on December 22, 1864 at Columbus, Ohio. After returning home from the war, Jim settled into a happy environment with his parents living only a few houses away from his own family. On Oct 30, 1865 the Williamson’s first son was born. They named him Harvey Alonzo. Margaret Ann, their fourth child was born Mar 8, 1867. Jim was content except for his money troubles.

In late 1869 or 1870, William Myers traveled from Toronto, Ohio to the Marietta, Ohio area in search of his daughter Naomi. When he found them, he made Jim and Naomi an offer. He would give them a gift of land and build them a new house if they would move to Toronto near him.

Jim Williamson was torn between leaving his place of origin and his parents to move to the unknown place of Toronto, Ohio, but since he did not own land in Washington County, Ohio and his personal estate only amounted to $20.00, he made up his mind that leaving would be the right thing to do for his family. They moved to Toronto, Ohio in mid 1870.

January 15, 1871, their fifth child, Artemisia Virginia, (the mother of Gertrude ‘Emery’ Watson, who was my mother) was the first of six children born in their new home on North River Avenue and in their new hometown, Toronto, Ohio. They were William Benton 1872, James Madison 1876, Nettie Mae 1879, Orthie Iona 1881 and, Andrew Newton 1884.

Attachments:
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Erin Moorman 11 Oct 2004 8:13PM GMT 
Joan588 25 Oct 2004 2:39AM GMT 
Erin Moorman 25 Oct 2004 6:40PM GMT 
Joan588 25 Oct 2004 7:14PM GMT 
Twilafern 14 Apr 2010 4:09PM GMT 
33726237879 2 Aug 2010 10:27PM GMT 
Twilafern 9 Aug 2010 3:58PM GMT 
Twilafern 21 Aug 2010 8:38PM GMT 
jmec12 3 Aug 2010 12:41PM GMT 
Twilafern 4 Aug 2010 7:38PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions