Search for content in message boards

Dennison family - Ohio > Linn County, Iowa

Replies: 0

Dennison family - Ohio > Linn County, Iowa

Posted: 14 Oct 2002 7:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Dennison, Denison, Halleck, Hallick
I am seeking information about the family of my wife's great-grandmother, Mary Ellen (Dennison) Mounce. A post on the Dennison surname message board suggested that the family might originally be from Lawrence County, Ohio. Do any of y'allknow anything about them?

I have located the family in the census in Linn County, Iowa, in 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880. From those census records I have gathered the following impression of the family:

Father: Jonathan Dennison, born about 1815 in Virginia, in a part of that state that later became West Virginia.

Mother: Sarah (maiden name unknown, possibly Halleck), born about 1825 in Ohio.

Jonathan and Sarah were married about 1845, probably in Ohio.

Children:
James M. Dennison, born about 1846 in Ohio
Lewis Dennison, born about 1848 in Iowa
Melinda Dennison, born about 1851 in Iowa
William Dennison, born about 1856 in Iowa
Mary Ellen Dennison, born about 1858 in Iowa
Ann Dennison, born about 1860 in Iowa
Sarah Dennison, born about 1863 in Iowa
Emma Lou Dennison, born about 1866 in Iowa (twin)
Margaret Alice Dennison, born about 1866 in Iowa (twin)
Flora Dennison, born about 1868 in Iowa

The family surname is sometimes spelled Denison, usually Dennison.

Mary Ellen Dennison apparently married a man with the surname Thomas sometime in the mid-1870s, as she appears in her parents' household in 1880 as Ellen Thomas, a widow, with a 3-year-old son named Jean Thomas (born about 1877 in California). Later that year (1880) she married Francis Marion Mounce in Linn County, Iowa. They had approximately 5 children together before she died in 1893 (I'm not sure of exact number because some of his children were from another marriage).

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Chuck Bennett

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions