Search for content in message boards

Robert T Janney

Replies: 1

Robert T Janney

Posted: 23 Aug 2004 7:56AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 16 Aug 2006 5:28PM GMT
Surnames: Allen, Arter, Bowers, Dalton, Douglas, Francis, Gadd, Heath, Janney, Jones, Kemery, Koseff, Kreis, Leckrone, Marshall, Maxwell, McCann, Noll, Pittenger, Rago, Sowers, Vest, Wieber
ROBERT T JANNEY

27 MAY 1842 - 15 APRIL 1916

Robert T Janney was born 27 May, 1842 in Floyd County, Virginia eldest son and first child of Burwell and Mary "Polly" Radford Janney. Robert's siblings were Moses Nathaniel, 1846-1910: Peter Monroe, 1847-1907; Jesse, 1849-1895, George W, 1851-, Ellen, 1852 married John Vest, Ruth, 1854 married John Janney, Mary, 1858-1859, Charles, 1863-. Robert served with Co A 54th Virginia Infantry. Robert Janney's ancestry can be traced to the prominent Quaker preacher Thomas Janney, who was invited to come to America by William Penn. The family consisting of Thomas Janney, his wife Margery Heath and four sons arrived the 29th of September, 1682 at the Falls of the Delaware, settling in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Thomas Janney's ancestry is documented to Randle Janney living in England in the year 1387. It is purported that the family is of French orgin arriving with William the Conqueror in 1066. The name Janney is derived from the French "De Gyney Family" near Calais, France. Robert Janney first appears in Washington Township, Muskingum County in 1870. It is not known why he came here. It is believed he was a POW at Camp Chase in Columbus during the Civil War and paroled at war's end. On 18 October 1871, he was married to Mary Elizabeth Francis, 1843-1912, daughter of Albert and Icy Blaker Francis, who came to Muskingum County from Loudoun County, Virginia in 1853. Robert Janney was a carpenter by trade. The Janney's were parents of Lillian, 1872-1877, Ella Geneva, 1877-1936, married first Frank Maxwell by whom a daughter Brenda Maxwell was born, 1905-1992, Ella married second Floyd Marshall, three children; Charles Raymond, 1912-1913, Thelma Louise, 1916-1993 married Thomas Jones, Violet Isabelle, 1918, married Jack Allen. Albert Cyril Janney, 1879-1888, died after falling from a tree, Fanny Mabel Janney, 16 October, 1887 died 21 January 1947, married Charles Edwin Arter 24 April 1914. Ce and Fanny Janney Arter are buried New Hope Cemetery, Adamsville, Ohio. This couple were the parents of 5 children; Lillian Ruth Arter, 1915-2003, married Lester L Gadd, they have three children Mary Louise Jones, Maxine Barlow and Charles L Gadd; Mary Grace, 1917-1998 married Bill Kemery and the parents of two children Anne L McGraw and Edwin Luther Kemery, this family lives in Ashland, Ohio; Robert William Arter married Madeline Alice McCann, they have three children; Loren R, Linda E Sowers, Lynette K Leckrone; Treasure L married Charles Robert Kreis and are the parents of five children Diane Dalton, Deborah Noll, R Douglas, J Daniel and Darla K Wieber; Virginia A married Carl Nicholas Koseff, they have six children, Carla D Rago, Catherine A Douglas, Craig Nicholas, Chris Allen, Caroline Marie and Christanne Pittenger, they live in La Mirada, California. Robert Janney is one of the few Confederate veterans buried in Muskingum County. Robert Janney died 15 April 1916, he and his wife are buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Zanesville, Ohio. I personally ordered a veterans marker for Robert's grave in 1996, it took 3 years to obtain the marker for him, at the same time a marker was ordered for his wife and paid for with donations from living family members. A service was held at the grave site in Greenwood in 1999. Approximately 100 individuals attended, there was a Confederate firing squad and about 25 people wore period costumes. We had obtained actual soil from Floyd and Loudon County and my uncle Robert Arter sprinkled the soil over the graves as an indiviual stepped from the crowd and sang acapella "I wish I were in Dixie". We started the service with the Battle Hymn of the Republic, after all we did win. There was a rendition of the old song "Carry me back to Old Virginny" by Stoey Stout. It was a very memorable day, and one of my "badges of life".
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Dug_K 23 Aug 2004 1:56PM GMT 
Theresa 29 Aug 2004 3:42PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions