Search for content in message boards

A Biographical History of Muskingum Co. Ohio-

Replies: 41

Re: A Biographical History of Muskingum Co. Ohio-

Posted: 25 Mar 2010 6:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Blackson/Blackstone
25 March 2010, Thursday

Back in c.2005, my oldest son, Mike, and I found some information that we thought was extremely important. However, a family researcher we were working with did not think it was worth looking into, and that we were way off base.

Mike & I didn’t think so. This created a rift with the other researcher, and thusly Mike & I left off with the research after November of that year. But, I had gotten a note from one of the message boards recently and my interest was peaked again.

So, in summary this is what Mike & I found:
1800-1816--First of all we checked the Tax Lists for 1800, 1811, 1816, and we did not find any Blackson, Blackstone, Blackston, nor Hambler, Hamler’s in Muskingum, Ross, Tuscarawas, Washington, nor Licking Counties during those years. However, in the 1814 Tax/Census record we found a James Blackstone for Guernsey County.

1814-1820--We looked closely at the county maps and when they were formed. From there we scoured the census records to find who was in the area near Muskingum County at the time. We found a Michael Blackstone and a James Blackstone in Guernsey County in 1820. In the 1814 Tax/Census, James had been listed. So, we assumed that Michael was still at home at the time.

1814--After the census records, we explored the land records. We found the same James Blackson/Blackstone having purchased land and it was dated 18 Feb 1817 in Guernsey County, and the notation also stated that he owned land in Fayette County, Tyrone Township, Pennsylvania on 07 Sep. 1814. They were the only Blackstone/Blackson/Blackston listed for the county of Guernsey in the book.
Source: The Early Ohio Settlers Purchasers Of Land In Southwestern Ohio, 1800-1840, Vol. II
Genealogical Publishing Company, Baltimore Maryland, (1986); Library of Congress Cat. # 86-81332

1790-1810--We then went back to the Pennsylvania 1810 Census--we found James Blackstow in Fayette County, PA. We checked the 1790 Census for the same county and found James Blackstone with one male under 16 yrs., and five females in the household. There were three other Blackson’s at the time as well in nearby counties, but none were James.

1820--State of Ohio Census-they are the only ones listed
Blackston, James - Guernsey Co., Monrow Twp.
Blackston, Michael - Guernsey Co., Spencer Twp. (he is living apart from his parents now)

1826--Guernsey County, Ohio Tax List
James Blackston, James Blackstone and Michael Blackstone were residents and listed.

1835--In the 1835 Guernsey County Marriage Book “C” is the marriage of Michael Blackson & Elizabeth Hatfield Hamler.

1840--In the 1840 Census, we found Michael, Thomas, and Thomas Jr. Blackstone living in Guernsey County.

1850--In the 1850 Census in Ohio, Michael probably died between 1845-1850, because we know that Elizabeth is Head of the household and her last child was abt. five years old in the census. Michael may have been older than we thought originally. And we believed that Elizabeth was raising her siblings as well.

We put James & Michael in Guernsey County where Michael & Elizabeth where married. We were able to trace James back into Fayette Co., PA. as well to a much earlier date. We welcome anyone to research the census records as we did without any problems from Mike & I and we would welcome other eyes looking at what we found also.
**James is probably Michael Blackson/Blackstone’s father from Fayette Co., PA. ,where Michael was born, and Michael is older than first thought..
I believe now that in the old 1805 map for MD & PA, where the two states are essentially blended together, mixing up the two states would likely be quite possible when families try to put together where an ancestor might come from. We found strong circumstantial evidence that Pennsylvania is the most likely because of the land record notation.
The name variations are not unusual, but they are definitely the same people since we could track them in the same counties without anyone else living in them with similar names.

What is needed now is for someone to do some research in PA and find the land record of James Blackstone and any other records that may be there in Fayette Co.

Sandy (compiler) [25 March 2010, SLJuhl RNBSC, Compiler; sljuhl1234@yahoo.com]

NOTE: There was another Michael Blackstone in Ross County, but he married Rebecca Secrist. He lived in Ross County for a long while. There was also an Ebenezer Blackstone who had a Mill on the Muskingum River in Washington Co. before it divided up into Guernsey & Muskingum Co.‘s and he married twice. He did move to the Guernsey Co. area in 1840, and he was connected to Thomas Blackstone at that time. So, this is a second possibility for Michael’s family also or else they are strongly related.
But, again, Mike and I are more of the mind that James is Michael’s father since we have no trace of him until he pops up with James in Guernsey County.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Cardinalroots 14 Dec 2007 10:57PM GMT 
sljuhl1234 15 Dec 2007 11:34PM GMT 
judiann32 21 Mar 2010 7:57AM GMT 
judiann32 21 Mar 2010 7:55AM GMT 
judiann32 21 Mar 2010 7:27AM GMT 
judiann32 21 Mar 2010 7:30AM GMT 
sljuhl1234 26 Mar 2010 12:50AM GMT 
SHIRLEY REYE ... 16 Jul 2010 7:33AM GMT 
sljuhl1234 16 Jul 2010 7:32PM GMT 
SHIRLEY REYE ... 17 Jul 2010 12:13AM GMT 
per page