Search for content in message boards

Old Stone Church Cemetery, Shawnee, Ohio

Replies: 12

Re: Old Stone Church Cemetery, Shawnee, Ohio

Josh Guisinger (View posts)
Posted: 14 Mar 2006 3:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Glass Farm was located in the N.E. 1/4 of Section 31 near the intersection of County Rd. 12(Portie flamingo Rd.) and County Rd. 14(Congo Rd.) 1mi. S.W. of Oakfield. It contained early burials for the area. No stones, or the exact location have been found. There are a few reasons it could have gone missing. The most common are mining, farming, and land development. In this case, I'd say lack of upkeep. If the landowner wouldn't let people plow, he knew something he should've passed on. I'd say that part of the land would be a good place to start with looking. Any highpoint in that area could have been it. Probing would be needed since most graves sink, which causes the headstone to fall into the sinkhole, which over the years, fills itself in, covering the stone. Most probing is most productive no deeper than 2'. A metal rod with a T handle is perfect since the rod will "ping" upon contact with a rock or headstone. Probing 6" from a ping in all directions, eliminates most rock hits, as most gravestones were at least 1'X2' if they had more than one line of text on them. I personally was going to research this one, but rumors about the landowner kept me from pursuing it. Anyone physically looking for lost cemeteries in Perry county can get my help, just ask.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ian Thrall 18 Feb 2006 6:21AM GMT 
Mary 6 Mar 2006 2:35PM GMT 
Josh Guisinger 10 Mar 2006 5:32PM GMT 
Tina Searles 12 Mar 2006 8:48AM GMT 
Josh Guisinger 14 Mar 2006 10:37PM GMT 
Josh Guisinger 15 Mar 2006 12:14AM GMT 
Skip Miller 21 May 2006 1:11AM GMT 
Josh Guisinger 21 May 2006 4:25AM GMT 
Rob Dishon 4 Jul 2006 10:17PM GMT 
Tina Searles 29 Mar 2006 7:32AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions