Search for content in message boards

Reigle, Riegel, Steigerwalt Nightmare - HELP!

Replies: 11

Reigle, Riegel, Steigerwalt Nightmare - HELP!

Posted: 30 Mar 2012 10:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Apr 2012 11:57AM GMT
Surnames: Reigle, Riegel, Steigerwalt
I've hit another huge brick wall that's been impossible for me to break through. I've researched my family history for more than 30 years and just last year, made a breakthrough on one of my most difficult lines. At the moment, I'm trying to make a SOLID connection (e.g., with documentation) between Margaret Reigle (her name has been misrepresented so many times as "Margaret Peggy Reigle" [Peggy is a NICKNAME for Margaret and not her middle name) that it's become the way in which everyone lists it) with her father Johann George Reigle (I believe he changed the spelling from his birth name of "Riegel". I'm trying to make the connection now because George's father, Simon was in the Revolutionary War and if I can confirm the link between Margaret and George, I'll be eligible to join SAR. FYI, Margaret married Joseph Steigerwalt (that is also the correct spelling of his surname but, again, it is misspelled constantly).

I've overturned every stone possible from my end (I'm in California). For the first time ever, I had a professional genealogist (here in California) look at my information and was told that I needed someone in Ohio to help. From everything I can tell, I've done more work than anyone else on this connection. I recently gained access to the new Family Search (I'm not LDS) and wasn't surprised to find that I also have more information than anyone there (and nearly every else botches up the names too).

In addition to my own exhaustive searches, I've called and written to the courthouse in Wyandot County, as well as the Wyandot Historical Society, the Wyandot Tracers (the Wyandot County Genealogical Society), the local chapter of SAR, and every other place I can think of. Unfortunately, I've had a TERRIBLE time trying to get responses (I ended up e-mailing and/or calling the Historical Society and the Genealogy Society many times before finally getting a response but, so far, no luck). SAR recently responded but so far, no word yet either.

At this point, I really don't know what else I can do. I'm SURE that Margaret is George's daughter (there are not many Reigles or Steigerwalt's in Tymochtee, Wyandot County). I know that George was a Justice of the Peace. I've connected several of his other children to him, but I can't connect Margaret to her siblings (I've even tried to obtain as many obituaries as possible for her siblings but these are very sparse and don't provide much information). Here's the basic information that I've got:

Margaret (Riegle) Steigerwalt
B. 7 Jan 1813, Crawford County, Ohio
M. 24 Apr. 1836 to Joseph Steigerwalt, Crawford County, Ohio
D. 18 Aug. 1880, Tymochtee, Wyandot County, Ohio
Buried: Bible Cemetery, Tymochtee, Wyandot County, Ohio

Johann George Reigle
B. 3 Apr 1787, Tulpehocken, Berks County, Pennsylvania
M. 30 May 1811, to Catherine Schambach, Jackson, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania (this may be a the wrong Catherine as there appear to be two different George Reigles who married two different Catherine Shambachs [isn't that nice?])
D. 21 Jan 1857, McCutchenville, Wyandot County, Ohio
Buried: Lutheran Cemetery, McCutchenville, Wyandot County, Ohio

I suspect that there MUST be something to connect Margaret and George. The is one HORRIBLY documented source,

Riegel, Carl Robert and James Earl Reigle (1996). Riegell to Riggle, 1390 - 1995: Mattheis Riegell of Bad Munster: His German Ancestry and American Descendants. Rockland, Maine: Penobscot Press.

The book lists Margaret as George's daughter but it doesn't list any of her children (therefore, someone was able to connect her through her father). The book, however, is so horrendously documented that NO information is provided (SHAME on them) and is completely useless in proving a genealogy! (One of the stupid statements made by the authors is that some of their information "came from standard sources" (or something like that), therefore, they didn't provide the information. UGH! I've been able to make the connect from the other direction (going from Margaret to her father) but the evidence is not sufficient for confirming the relationship. Just the same, as poorly documented as the book is, it's highly unlikely that they obtained Margaret name out of thin air, especially since they traced her as a descendant, not as an ancestor.

I would appreciate ANY help or suggestions at this point.

Thanks!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Jeff La Marca 31 Mar 2012 4:45AM GMT 
Wanda_Slagel 1 Apr 2012 5:29PM GMT 
Jeff La Marca 1 Apr 2012 6:19PM GMT 
Wanda_Slagel 1 Apr 2012 11:38PM GMT 
Jeff La Marca 2 Apr 2012 4:48AM GMT 
Wanda_Slagel 3 Apr 2012 9:11PM GMT 
Wanda_Slagel 5 Apr 2012 6:04PM GMT 
Jeff La Marca 16 Apr 2012 4:36AM GMT 
Wanda_Slagel 18 Apr 2012 7:00PM GMT 
Jeff La Marca 19 Jun 2012 6:50AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions