Search for content in message boards

Seeking Shawnee Tribal descendants(TECUMSEH) relatives

Replies: 306

Re: Seeking Shawnee Tribal descendants(TECUMSEH) relatives

Dara (View posts)
Posted: 30 Jul 2006 6:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Owens, Forrester, Pucksinekau and Tanaghrisson
Well, so far I have discovered I am a direct descendant of Chief Tanaghrisson ("Half King") a Catawba born, taken by the French as a small boy to Pa, and was raised by the Seneca. He died in what is now known as Ambridge Pa. His daughter Maths(half Seneca/Catawba) married my Irish ancestor, John Owens in a Seneca blanket ceremony, in what is now North Central West Virginia.--I am a direct descendant of them, on my mother's side.. this has all been well-documented. I have found other ancestors on the Owens side, on the Dawes Rolls, as Cherokee, and Choctaw. It seems my Irish and Scottish ancestors married into the different Indian tribes a great deal. My cousin said that Elizabeth Edgell was adopted, and most likely she was Kishpoko Shawnee (stated on her obit, written by her husband, but spelled incorrectly). She married a Forrester, who was Scottish and Cherokee. They died in Tyler (W) Va. I am also descended from "Indian Billy" through a daughter of his. Indian Billy and his sister were white, Scottish( Galloway) and Dutch (Iaac), and were raised by the Shawnee, after some "gangster types"-- a white family or group of n'er do wells killed their mother and other siblings, while their father was away on business. I guess you could say the Shawnee "rescued them"--even though the eldest brother, who was away with his father at the time of the killings, thought Indians killed his family, and sought revenge by killing Indians, and ended up killed, himself, if I recall. I am still trying to find out about Indian Billy Ice's Shawnee family--he was married at least three times, and abandoned a Shawnee family when he returned to the whites, from what I understand. His sister, Mary Ice, stayed with the Shawnee and married Pucksinekau, and was the mother of Tecumseh,. and at least seven other children, I believe.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
anakausuen 30 Jul 2006 8:37PM GMT 
Dara 31 Jul 2006 12:07AM GMT 
Cheryl 31 Jul 2006 12:56PM GMT 
Dara 1 Aug 2006 10:24AM GMT 
marieclaxon10 12 Feb 2011 11:10PM GMT 
marieclaxon10 25 Feb 2011 5:44PM GMT 
marieclaxon10 12 Feb 2011 11:08PM GMT 
renee Perkins 3 Aug 2006 9:04PM GMT 
anakausuen 5 Aug 2006 7:54PM GMT 
Dara 6 Aug 2006 6:03PM GMT 
per page