During my childhood, I spent many, many weekends in Stilwell at the home of my grandparents, Noah Isaac and Minnie Bell (FOSTER) BUTLER. Their home was recently torn down and moved away by the canning company's expansion program, but my grandparents used to live on Cherokee Street in the old Fairland Addition, just west(?) of the train tracks. My dad, Clarence, helped build that home.
I remember some of their long-time neighbors; among them, Mrs. BROWN, her son and daughter-in-law, Bert & Brownie BROWN, as well as the nearby HILL and FIVEKILLER households.
Noah Isaac Butler was born 9-30-1894 at Timbo, Stone Co., AR. He was the son of George William "Willie" Butler and Flora Susan (BRANSCUM) Butler. I believe Willie moved his family into Oklahoma around statehood, and among the places they resided was Wauhillau. Some of Flora Susan's family resided at Titanic.
Minnie Bell (Foster) Butler, born 10-1-1900 at Vale (formerly Profit), TN, was the daughter of George Robert Foster and Mary Elizabeth (HELWICK) Butler. I'm not sure when they moved into Oklahoma, but I do know that they moved to Piney from the Gans/Sallisaw, OK area. Minnie was a member of a large family clan who settled at Piney; among them, Minnie's grandparents, John Jake & Clara Jane (RAINWATER) Helwick, as well as relatives from the HASTINGS' side of George R. Foster's own family.
Noah's siblings were:
1. Walker Homer Butler
2. John Sheffield Butler
3. Orphy Julian Butler
4. Amie Belle Butler
5. Henry Forest Butler
6. Mary Alice Butler
7. Ida Beatrice Butler
8. Walter Loyd Butler
9. Tedford Dolphus Butler
10. Harvey Paul Butler
Minnie's siblings were:
1. Clara Mae Foster
2. Jesse Delmar Foster
Noah and Minnie Butler were married June 23, 1918 at Piney, OK. In that community, they made their home and raised most of their children. While in Piney, Noah worked as a farmer. After their move to Stilwell, Grandpa Butler maintained a garden in his backyard but was employed at various times as a carpenter, Adair County deputy sheriff, and a guard at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary at McAlester.
Their children included:
1. Billie John Butler, b. & d. 1919, buried Piney Cemetery.
2. Carmon Lloyd Butler, b. 1-13-1921 at Piney, d. 11-11-1961 at Marina Del Rey, CA, buried Piney Cemetery. He married (1) Josephine FILMORE, (2) Natalie ___.
3. Otis Willie Butler, b. 5-25-1922 at Piney, d. 12-1-1976 at Goliad, TX, buried Corpus Christi, TX. He married Rosie Evelyn FIVEKILLER.
4. Clarence Cecil Butler, my father, b. 2-4-1924 at Piney, d. 10-17-92 Little Rock, AR, buried National Cemetery, Ft. Gibson, OK. He married Melbajo Ann CUNNINGHAM.
5. Robert Lee Butler, b. 10-25-1925 at Piney, d. 7-3-61 at Lyford, TX, buried at Piney Cemetery. He married Faustina Lee "Tina" SLAYTON.
6. Lillie Marie Butler, b. 8-19-1923 at Piney, d. abt 1-19-64 at Houston, TX, buried at Piney Cemetery. She married (1) Clifford ___, (2) Louis WALTER, (3) Wally ZAWORSKI.
7. Junior Isaac Butler, b. 2-3-1931 at Piney, d. 7-19-1977 at Palmersville, TN, buried Sunset Cemetery, Dresden, TN. He married (1) Helen BROOKS, (2) Jane THRASHER, (3) Peggy Joe LEE.
8. Ollie Mae "Sandy" Butler, b. 1-3-1933 at Stilwell, d. 7-19-1997 at Laguna Park, TX, buried Laurel Land Memorial Park, Desoto, TX, suburb of Dallas. She married (1) George ROSS, (2) Will CUNNINGHAM, Jr.
9. George William "G.W." Butler, b. 5-14-1939 at Stilwell, currently residing at Victoria, TX. He married (1) Nadine ___, (2) Tsuneko ___ (from Japan), (3) Billie Ruth WATSON, (4) Mrs. Nadine THOMAS.
Noah Isaac Butler died 3-22-1971 at Stilwell and is buried in Piney Cemetery. Minnie died 9-16-1974 at Muskogee and is also buried in Piney Cemetery.