Search for content in message boards

Oklahoma Children's Home Society-- Noah Wickham

Replies: 1

Oklahoma Children's Home Society-- Noah Wickham

Posted: 13 Jul 2009 9:19PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Petty, Pettie, maybe Lehmann?
I have stumbled on this board by the grace of God, I do believe. I have both information that may help others and am still searching for information. My search is for a "Leo Petty" who was placed at the Oklahoma Children's home society in Guthrie in November or December of 1925, he was about 10 years old at the time.....I did contact Guthrie Schools to see if they had records and was not successful. Any ideas of how I could piece together what happened to him? I believe I came across a jail record like petty theft or something, in Guthrie, for the name but was not sure if it was him...I have looked for so long as did my late mother who passed away last year at age 83. The connection is this: It is really his little brother Limon Lionel Petty's records I'm trying to locate....This is my late father....and we searched for years. We actually have copies of the records of when my dad was removed from the home...he is listed as a male child about 2 years old...surely, there is a birth certificate some place that gives his birthday and when he was born. When he went into the Navy prior to WWII they gave him a birthday of the date he was placed in state custody. Now, for the "Help" it was by accident we discovered Leo. We had received a court order from one of the juvenile judges which was not a big deal about fifteen years, ago,due to how many years ago this all happened. My dad was still alive at the time. We went out to the Department of Libraries by the Capitol and they have a "caged room" with old archived records, and you can only access them with an order. They were able to tell us when my Dad was placed and also told us an older brother listed as ten years old was also placed with him...so we have looked for Leo Petty for many years, now...we had always hoped he may have shared what happened with his family so we could figure out when my dad was born. They were both placed at the home but in separate buildings due to their ages according to the records at the library. Also, my dad was placed in foster care for a year with a family in Kingfisher and I do have the name of the family someplace in my records. It is so strange that we can find absolutely nothing on Leo. I would be happy to come to Guthrie and begin searching...The spelling of the names are from the court records of 1925. Surely, Leo went to school in the Guthrie area at least until age 16. Also, the records at the capitol do not show Leo as ever leaving to their knowledge, probably due to his age. I've tried ancestry.com for records but by 1930, Leo would have been 14 - 15 and may have left on his own. Any HELP would be deeply and profoundly appreciated. Thanks, Kay
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
konlibby 14 Jul 2009 3:19AM GMT 
eric_harshman 6 Nov 2012 2:33PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions