HON. E. E. GLASCO
VOL. 5, p. 1896, 1897
Book has photo
One of the leading civil and criminal lawyers of the state, Hon. E. E. Glasco, has also won distinction as a public servant, the value of whose labors in the Oklahoma Legislature cannot be overestimated. He was born in White County, Illinois, in 1870, but was reared principally in Wayne County, where his parents, Thomas M. and Martha A. (BURRELL) Glasco, resided on a farm. Thomas M. Glasco, a native of Illinois, was but fifteen years of age at the outbreak of the Civil war, but he bravely joined his father in the same company of the Eighty-seventh Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and subsequently served four years under the flag of the Union. Mr. Glasco's paternal and maternal grandfathers were natives of South Carolina, and the ancestry of the former has been traced back beyond the days of the Revolution in America. Both parents are living now at Washington, Oklahoma. In the family of Thomas M. and Martha A. Glasco there were three sons and three daughters, as follows: E. E., of this review; E. D., who is a prominent stockman and real estate dealer at Washington, Oklahoma; Clarence, who is a prosperous farmer at Athens, Texas; Mrs. Ada JACKSON, who is the wife of a machinist at Athens, Texas; Mrs. Mary E. SMITH, who is the wife of a member of the firm of Smith-Glasco Hardware Company, at Blanchard, Oklahoma; and Mrs. Sarah SAPP, who is the wife of an agriculturist and stock dealer of McClain County, Oklahoma.
E. E. Glasco was educated in the public schools of Illinois and the Hayward Collegiate Institute, at Fairfield, Illinois, from which he was graduated in 1892 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. Following this, he completed a course in the Southern Illinois State Normal School, at Carbondale, Illinois, and for the eight succeeding years was a popular and efficient teacher in the public schools. While in Illinois, Mr. Glasco served two years in the capacity of assessor of Wayne County.
In 1897 Mr. Glasco moved to Athens, Texas, and for three years thereafter continued to follow the vocation of educator. At that time he became interested in journalistic work, founding the Henderson County News at Athens, and this paper soon became involved in a heated campaign involving the liquor question, supporting the side of the prohibitionists and assisting them to victory. The character of officers sought by the prohibitionists were elected, among them being District Judge R. L. GARDNER, who still retains his seat on the bench. Following the outcome of this struggle, Mr. Glasco went to Tishomingo, Oklahoma, where he began the practice of law, to which he had devoted much study for several years. He succeeded in building up a good practice, but in 1906 came to Purcell, Oklahoma, and in 1907 was elected the first county judge of McClain County, an office which he acceptably filled for one term.
Mr. Glasco was first elected to the Oklahoma Legislature in 1912 and during that term was made chairman of the Committee on Banks and Banking. He was the author of the banking act passed by that body which remedied defects in the guaranty law and placed the guaranty plan on a more substantial basis, and was joint author of the law prohibiting race track gambling and of a series of bills regulating the loaning of money. In 1914 he defeated the late C. M. MCCLAIN, who had been a member of the Constitutional Convention, for the nomination and was re-elected to the Legislature, on a platform pledging an anti-usury law and exemption reforms. His victory was notable in view of the opposition encountered at the hands of bankers and retail merchants who opposed his plan of remedial legislation relating to usury and exemptions. He was made chairman of the Committee on Judiciary No. 1, and a member of the committees on Criminal Jurisprudence, Congressional Redistricting, Revenue and Taxation, Prohibition Enforcement and Banks and Banking. He was the author of a bill preventing usury, and a bill validating insurance policies and requiring insurance companies in case of a total loss of property insured to pay the face amount of the policy. Mr. Glasco was a stanch adherent of measures advocating the interests of labor and the farmers, and in the 1912 Legislature was sternly opposed to the passage of a bill relating to coal miners which, after being passed by the Legislature, was referred to and defeated by the people. He was a candidate for speaker of the House of the Fifth Legislature, but withdrew from the contest and threw his strength to A. McCRORY, who was thus elected. Mr. Glasco has been a delegate to every state democratic convention since the acquirement of Oklahoma statehood, being a member of the 1912-convention platform committee, and was a delegate to the democratic national convention at Baltimore in 1912.
Mr. Glasco was married in 1889, while still a resident of Illinois, to Miss Rosa E. DONOVAN, who died in March 1907. To this union there were born four children, as follows: Roy, aged twenty-one years, who passed the state bar examination in 1914 and is now employed in the law office of Thompson & Patterson, at Paul's Valley, Oklahoma; Ellen, aged nineteen years, who is a high school graduate and lives at home with her father; Raymond, aged seventeen years, who is employed as a chemist in the plant of the Kansas Chemical Company, at Wichita, Kansas; and Crystal, aged twelve years, who is a student at Purcell High School. In 1908 Mr. Glasco was again married, his second wife having borne the name of Mrs. Mattie KEENER. They have one daughter: Evelyn, who is three years of age.
Mr. Glasco and his family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Professionally, he is connected with the McClain County Bar Association and the Oklahoma State Bar Association. He is senior member of the law firm of Glasco & Osborn, and is justly accounted one of the leading civil and criminal lawyers of his part of the state.
Transcribed by Sherry Van Scoy Hall, July 19, 1999.
SOURCE: Thoburn, Joseph B., A Standard History of Oklahoma, An Authentic Narrative of its Development, 5 v. (Chicago, New York: The American Historical Society, 1916).